Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 parking brake stuck

Default 22 parking brake stuck

I just fired up my brothers 22 after sitting for several years and it would not move forward when I let the clutch out. The left brake felt a little odd and slow to come up when I let off, but the right brake pedal was as solid as a rock. I cant find the manuals, but remembered the little lever that sets the parking brake on the right brake only. I cant get it to release. I thought it was supposed to release when you put more pressure on the pedal, but that didnt work, so I tried (pretty awkward) banging on the lever when pushing on the pedal. No luck. Any ideas??? Also, I had posted a while back about thinking the governor was faulty and now I am convinced (maybe wrongly) because when letting the clutch out the engine slows down and wants to die. It starts and revs fine but wont tolerate any load. I was able to stretch out and watch the governor rod/lever when doing this and the engine slows down and the governor takes several seconds before it responds. It killed the engine several times before I observed the delay. It appears that the governor is supplied oil from the regular engine oil (lines run to it) so I dont think it can be low on oil. Any suggestions to get the proper fast response from the governor???. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Grant.

Why do I show as a guest when I am a member? Grant.

Hi Grant, whenever I release the parking brake, I encourage the rod forward. Maybe you need to push harder on the pedal? If that doesn't work, you might need to pull up the floorboard. The other thing is that the brake band might be adhered to the drum, and the park lock has released but the band hasn't. If you get it moving, drive around riding the brakes and get them nice and hot to cook the moisture out. Need to do that periodically if the unit doesn't see a lot of use. Same with the main clutch. For the governor, I'm picking you just have a tight linkage in there somewhere. You'll probably need to remove the cover to see what's going on in there, so buy some gasket stock and a cheap set of hole punches from Harbor Freight. Another member had governor woes and it ended up being a single pin that was binding. Once it was sanded down, the governor worked as expected.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I cant get anymore motion out of the right brake pedal. It is like it is welded in place. Am I correct to assume that the small lever that ratchets the right brake pedal needs to be pulled/ knocked upwards to release? I will try to get the floorboard out and figure things out. The main clutch seems to work fine. I didnt try the steering clutches, but I will. The governor is for another day. Thanks, Grant.

On mine (well, my cousin's but I'm looking after it : ), to set the brake, I pull back on the rod (which is spring loaded) while depressing the brake pedal and feeling the lock ratchet into place. To release, I just tap the brake pedal and sometimes encourage the rod forward if it's a bit sticky. If your pedal won't go down any further, it's either latched into a really tight position, or the brake pedal itself is seized. I'm not sure if you can get access to the latch mechanism from underneath, but if you can, you could get a long punch and see if you knock it unlatched. If the pedal doesn't return, then it or something in the brake mechanism is seized. If you can't get access, proceed with pulling up the floorboard
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Brake bands will rust to the drum. The D2 seems to have it happen more than others, or talked about more on the board here because of the work to get to the brake.

I was very surprised when I had it happen on a D6 9u that had not sat but 6 months. Would not release trying to tow the tractor. Track just slid in the dirt. With access it was easy to brake loss.

Well, some of the problem solved (at least the brake problem) this morning. Neil, after reading your post I thought "How could I miss that brake release pull". I have used that system before and could not figure out how I missed it. I went to the ranch and looked and there is no pull release for the parking brake on this 22. I went and pulled the tarp off of another 22, but it is a tailseat and completely different brake setup. I went over and looked at my D2 and it has the pull rod/flat rod to release the brake. That explains where I had used that type before. Since the little lever that I think is supposed to release the brake on this 22 was right down against the floor board, I went and got a large cold chisel for a wedge and a lead hammer to give the foot pedal a smack. Gently tapped the chisel under the end of the lever and whacked the pedal and yippee, it came free. I started the old beast and it was not very smooth running, but got better after it warmed up. It promptly died at the first slight loading from letting the clutch out. Several starts later I eased the clutch slowly enough to get it driving and the good part is that the brakes and clutches work fine. The bad part is that the engine will take almost no load without stalling. I didnt pay too much attention to the governor, so I am not sure what cover is removable, but I will have to find that out. I am leaving in 2 days for a month long trip, so it may have to wait until I get back, but at least the clutches and brakes are good. Thank you folks for the help and I am sure I will have governor questions when I get back. _____Grant.

Good result Grant, the Twenty Two and 5U brake latch mechanism that I have appear to operate the same as each other. Let us know when you're back and we can step through the governor issue
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Default Just a Thought

Are you sure its not a fuel delivery issue and blaming it on the governor?

Good that the brake easy. Good luck with the fuel side.