Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22 parking brake stuck

Sounds like a fuel blockage to me, blow the system backwards with compressed air, there is a fine screen in the carb inlet too, my "new" 22 would stop on a regular basis and after several days of pulling everything in the fuel system apart 3 times, I discovered a paper fuel delivery docket from 1972 sliding around in the bottom of the fuel tank that would block the outlet hole, it had obviously been doing that since 1972 because I could see all the round dimples of the outlet hole imprinted in the paper!!!! No wonder I'm going bald!
    Mike

Bruceoz is staying with me right now, he's the 22 guru, he said to check the governor spring isn't broken too, good advice, to remove the top of the governor housing only takes a few minutes.
    Last edited by Mike Meyer; 05-13-2019 at 04:01 PM.

I cant get back to work on it for a month (vacation trip) but before I tried to start it I drained the tank of the old gas and put in fresh. The gas flowed freely from the out put side of the shutoff valve. Possibly the fuel pump is faulty but short of putting a pressure gauge on the outlet, I dont know how to test it. I am still leaning towards the governor being the issue but I wont rule out fuel or even ignition. I found setting the points to be very awkward but it ran the same before and after I set them so I dont think it is the mag. Tune in after June 15th and I will be at this again. Grant.

Default Possible Fuel Blockage Dilemma

Hi Team,
    I recall Mike's efforts with the renegade paper fuel receipt-- was only visible thru the filler neck when fuel was low in the tank and the light was just right to shine into the tank and onto the paper.

Pieces of clear plastic sheet have been found before today in on-highway truck diesel tanks and CCJ spoke of a clear plastic torch lens doing people's heads in for a considerable period of time until a chance reflection in the tank allowed it to be seen.
    Anything is possible and this is what sorts the stayers from those who chuck in the towel and do not think outside box.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantJ View Post
    .........The gas flowed freely from the out put side of the shutoff valve. Possibly the fuel pump is faulty but short of putting a pressure gauge on the outlet, I dont know how to test it..............
    Grant, in addition to what others have said, you might be able to determine whether it's a fuel or electrical problem by running a fuel line from the tank straight to the carburetor bypassing the fuel pump. Or, without the engine running, you could disconnect the line from the pump at the carburetor and visually check the flow. My 22's run quite well without a fuel pump installed. The carburetor is below the level of the bottom of the fuel tank. I have had intermittent fuel blockage similar to Mike's but due to flakes of rust moving around in the tank. My temporary fix was to capture them with a well placed magnet near the outlet inside the tank.

Pete

1936 Cat 22 2F6559W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6499W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6223W
    1937 Cat 22 1J2921W
    1944 JD Lindeman
    1950 Farmall Cub

I have wondered if the fuel pump was actually needed (certainly on hills) and might bypass it and clean anything at the inlet to the carb. A question about magnetos??? Is there anything that is the equivalent of a dwell meter that can give you an idea of the point setting? I ran aircooled Volkswagons for years and always found the dwell meter better than setting with a feeler gauge. I have not heard of anything for mags, but there is a lot I dont know. I have to finish packing for the one month travel that starts tomorrow so I wont be posting for a month. Thanks to all Grant.