Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First post, pics of some of my old D6

Quote Originally Posted by ccjersey View Post
    Nice working tractors! Thanks for posting. I think the longest running thread ever is farming with steel tracks. I don't know if you ever saw that one from a few years ago?

Which do you like the best, the turbocharged Caterpillars or the Detroit Diesel conversion? I imagine the DD runs a little faster or if loaded heavy, has to pull in a lower gear because of the rpm difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce P View Post
    Welcome!!

If this is the Mschwartz I think it is, thanks again for helping me with that Diesel 35 track at Morganís plowing bee.

Good looking lineup there, be interesting to know the combined hours for that group.

BP.
    Hello Bruce, you are welcome. I think I enjoy plow days more for the chance to work on and play with other guys tractors more than the actual plowing. Total hours would be interesting, I will have to look and see but I would bet it is a lot as I have acquired these after their prior owners considered them to wore out to use anymore.

Default Question about upgrade?

Mschwartz; I see that you list a "grader" upgrade? I purchased a 9U from northern Washington and the fellow I bought it from said it has a grader pump upgrade, I thought he was talking about the hydrolic pump? Please explain? (the 9U also has a turbo). Oh and Juiceman, I do not run a water truck either!

Thumb Turboed?

My buddy Wally C. has a 9U with a turbocharger. It is very large and impressive; so large that the hood is special made with a very streamlined bulge to accommodate it under such. I, we have always wondered if that tractor came from the factory as such or was a custom modification. Whatever it was, it looks spectacular. His reason for buying it? Because it looked BAD ASS he said. 😆 LOL. Thatís one 9U he said heíd never give up.....
    Itís a wonder the tractors of the NW donít self destruct with some of the HP upgrades, but then again, hey, theyíre CATs!!!
    I like a little dust. For TomTrack44 and Bruce:
    Attached Images Attached Images

9u's with the truck engines are the best farm cats.I have a 9u with a 1673 230hp engine and a friend of mine has one with a 3306DIT engine.Hills mean nothing to them.Have had mine 30 years with no drive train problems,they are light enough they spin out before they cause damage.They do go through rails fast as these engines turn faster than the original engine.

As per Juiceman's comment, Miller Track Service in Modesto Ca. was working with a locale shop building a turbo setup for Cat 318 engines. I don't know how many conversions were sold by this company. But as I recall, they would trade you manifold and air cleaner parts maybe the hood as well. You had bolt on kit, so I would think it should have been a neat looking conversion. So you are in the right part of the world to have a good chance to find one.

In 1983 Bob Miller had a good start to being in the aftermarket parts business with a lot of parts besides Berco undercarriage parts. But he had a major battle with cancer shortly there after. I think the sons may still be in the business of undercarriage repair but not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TomTrack44 View Post
    Mschwartz; I see that you list a "grader" upgrade? I purchased a 9U from northern Washington and the fellow I bought it from said it has a grader pump upgrade, I thought he was talking about the hydrolic pump? Please explain? (the 9U also has a turbo). Oh and Juiceman, I do not run a water truck either!
    He might have a governor from a grader installed. At least in the 5U vs 212, the 212 is listed as making a few more HP
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Quote Originally Posted by Ray54 View Post
    As per Juiceman's comment, Miller Track Service in Modesto Ca. was working with a locale shop building a turbo setup for Cat 318 engines. I don't know how many conversions were sold by this company. But as I recall, they would trade you manifold and air cleaner parts maybe the hood as well. You had bolt on kit, so I would think it should have been a neat looking conversion. So you are in the right part of the world to have a good chance to find one.

In 1983 Bob Miller had a good start to being in the aftermarket parts business with a lot of parts besides Berco undercarriage parts. But he had a major battle with cancer shortly there after. I think the sons may still be in the business of undercarriage repair but not sure.
    We used to do a lot of business with Miller Track.Pretty sure they are no longer in business.

In the 80's Larry Collins of Collins Diesel Injection in Stockton was building turbo kits.We put one on a D73T,an AC HD11S and a HD11B
    They were all very clean looking installed.Not sure if Larry Collins is still around or not

Default One happy 44A

JM, Iím sure glad you got that tractor!! You and it are having a good time!

I was always told the grader kits had bigger pumps, and different governors, and sometimes turbos. Neighbor had a 9U with a grader kit and a giant cat turbo like what JM described. That old girl would flat out roll coal like you wouldnít believe. That Cat turbo went out and replacement was NLA. So he put a turbo from a 2670 Case wheel tractor on it. That tiny little turbo looked ridiculous, but it actually worked great.

BP.
    Holt 45 power unit, Two Ton, Sixty (2), Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol, 4G D4, 9U D6, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7, DW20.

Interesting about the fuel system from a grader engine. I knew the 318 used in DW 10 was raised to 120 HP or there about without a turbo. From the 318 engine manual I think there are many differences in the pump plus they raise RPM to 2000 or maybe more. I don't remember anything in the engine book about the grader being different.

The neighbor has a D6 9u that came from Washington with a 200 hp engine and wet steering clutches and brakes. I don't remember which engine it is but a very low production model mainly used in a wheel loader if I remember right. The water pump parts were no longer available last year and cost a lot to get from a place that speicailested in the repair of the unobtainium.

Doh That does it!

With all the talk of high HP 9Us, Iím tempted to either buy or create a ďHotRodĒ version for my Cat Cache!
    Iím still toying with the idea of a hopped up D2 by the way....JM