Thread: Caterpillar D2 with Murray scraper first time testing!

Default Caterpillar D2 with Murray scraper first time testing!

Finally got the Murray scraper ready to test out!
    We added a 44 Hydraulic set from a HT4 to the D2 so we could control the Murray.
    This was the first time working the d2 and the Murray.
    On the d2 we did replace the bottom rollers, renewed the steering clutches and a lot more, so this was the real test if everything worked ok and it did!

here you find the youtube link

Thanks Niels
    D2 5U 15709
    D2 4U 1131
    D4 7U14815 Trackson HT4
    Ransomes C.1E Subsoiler

Somerset West, near Cape Town South Africa

That just made my day!

We had a 4 cu yard Murray that we pulled behind our D4 5T.

Seeing the Murray, and hearing that D2 bark sure brought back some wonderful memories of years gone by.

My Dad used to build and clean out about 5 dams on our Overberg farm, not to mention the roads we built and maintained with the D4/Murray combination.
    The D4 5T with the Murray arrived in 1947. The hydraulics was a rear mounted double valve unit for the Murray.

In 1950 the D4 6U arrived, in 1951 the Wright 4 bulldozer blade arrived (all well before my time) and in 1959 the D2 5U arrived (1948 model), and promptly got the nickname of "Miss Murray", as it had belonged to a Miss Murray from the Elgin district.

I used the D2 in our apple farm, and sadly do not know the whereabouts of "Miss Murray".

Bedankt Nielsje! (just about all that this 13th generation Dutchman can write in proper Dutch)
    Somerset West, Cape Town
    South Africa

Default Great fun!

Niels,

Wow, you just eat the sand up loading fast and downhill with your D2. All of your practice with the D6C at Best of the West Show came in handy I assume. You were getting right after it my friend!

Thanks for sharing,

JanM

Nice memories Dewets! it would be nice if you ever find Miss Murray again!

Thanks jan! It is loading really good, not only downhill also on the flat sand it did fill really fast!
    I didnt expect that a D2 would pull it this easy. up the hill I could drive in 3th and loading was best in 2.

Yes it was nice glenn let us drive his machines, already 2 years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by janmeermans View Post
    Niels,

Wow, you just eat the sand up loading fast and downhill with your D2. All of your practice with the D6C at Best of the West Show came in handy I assume. You were getting right after it my friend!

Thanks for sharing,

JanM
    D2 5U 15709
    D2 4U 1131
    D4 7U14815 Trackson HT4
    Ransomes C.1E Subsoiler

If I'm not mistaken, the Murray scraper being pulled by the D2 is a 2 yard. I have a Murray 4 yard and I think that it is paired well with a D4.
    The Murray scrapers have two hydraulic cylinders, one to raise and lower the blade and the other to dump the load. It appears that the D2 in the video only has one hydraulic valve... how does he operate both cylinders with only one valve?

Cool Way to Cool!

Nice "Sand Box"!
    Looks like everyone was having way too much fun!

Default Double Valve hydraulic 44 set

We put a double Valve hydraulic set on the D2 it came from a ht4. That made that we could operate both cilinders!
    The scraper is a Murray 63H

Quote Originally Posted by Delta KJ View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Murray scraper being pulled by the D2 is a 2 yard. I have a Murray 4 yard and I think that it is paired well with a D4.
    The Murray scrapers have two hydraulic cylinders, one to raise and lower the blade and the other to dump the load. It appears that the D2 in the video only has one hydraulic valve... how does he operate both cylinders with only one valve?
    D2 5U 15709
    D2 4U 1131
    D4 7U14815 Trackson HT4
    Ransomes C.1E Subsoiler

good!!!!
    very nice video !

MARCOTEN,

You could not be very far away from them. You ought to make a visit and have a go on Niel's D2! Just tell him I sent you!

JanM