Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17afarmer plowing

Thats a good one too!

Our D7E and 12 bottom White plow

And our D7E with the International 12 bottom plow
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gary in CA; 06-16-2019 at 08:56 PM.

I never quite understood how those large hitches work where the tractor is not in the center line of draft. What keeps the whole thing from yawing back?
    John Liebermann
    2 9U's, 5J, IHC544, Ford860, (All working farm tractors)
    cojhl2@gmail.com

Default 'DELICATE' Balance.

Hi, cojhl2.
    Itza 'DELICATE' balance of side thrust from the discs against the forward pull of the tractor. As I understand it, this is possible with one-way disc plows 'cos the discs are exerting a side thrust that can be used to counter the tendency for all the implements to fall into line behind the tractor. I believe the secret is in balancing this side thrust against the line of draft of each plow in turn along the line.

BUTTTT, I am open to correction here.

I set two plows up in tandem this way behind a Cat 2T D4 back when I was working on a broad acre wheat farm at age 18 - worked like a dream. I have seen 3-plow set-ups in the flesh but this is the only evidence that I have seen of more than that. Funny thing is, the multiple plows seemed to be easier to pull that way than hooking them up with a draft beam arrangement.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

What amazes me is....for transporting the plow down the road all you do is pivot the dual wheels in a couple of inches and the plow straightens out.

In the circled area you pin the wheels in for transport and pin wheels out for plowing.Just that simple.And it's only a few degrees twist of the wheels

The International and the White plow had that same feature
    Attached Images Attached Images

That concurs with what Deas explained, that it is the thrust of the trailing load. It isn't intuitive but it obviously works.
    John Liebermann
    2 9U's, 5J, IHC544, Ford860, (All working farm tractors)
    cojhl2@gmail.com

Gary in CA and 17Afarmer, please educate me (no criticism from here). What is the reason for plowing? I see well fallowed ground without a weed or any stubble in sight. To what purpose would you bear the expense of plowing?

Casey

Quote Originally Posted by cojhl2 View Post
    I never quite understood how those large hitches work where the tractor is not in the center line of draft. What keeps the whole thing from yawing back?
    The moldboard plow's side thrust is offset by a flat piece of steel that runs up against the side of the furrow called a landslide, on the wheatland type plows, as Deas stated it's the geometry of the hitch and a bit of help from the offset tiller wheel that keeps it in place. They both sure do leave it looking nice. Great job 17afarmer

Default Reason for plowing

The third week of April we chopped silage off that field, then disked 2 directions and let it lay was too dry to plow. In may we got 2 inches of rain waited a few days disked to hold moisture plowed it last week. Now for my reason for plowing, turn soil over. , reduce weed pressure, create depth for water pentetration, help with mellowness. Soil tilth. I almost always do better on plowed ground than I do on ground that was just disked as you can see I am old school I think it pays. Thank you. 17afarmer Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tad Wicks View Post
    The moldboard plow's side thrust is offset by a flat piece of steel that runs up against the side of the furrow called a landslide, on the wheatland type plows, as Deas stated it's the geometry of the hitch and a bit of help from the offset tiller wheel that keeps it in place. They both sure do leave it looking nice. Great job 17afarmer
    It was common “back in the day” when closing vee ditches in heavy clay used in furrow irrigation with an old plow to offset the hitch adjustment of the plow and then pin the drawbar of the cat off to the side so you would be driving along side of the ditch and the plow would be in the ditch. Kinda of like pulling a Hay bailer, the tractor was off to the side (on the dry dirt) and plow would pull straight along side you in the mud.