Thread: Spring assist clutch adjustment D82U

Default Spring assist clutch adjustment D82U

So I'm having a strange issue with the steering levers. The right hand lever seems to perform perfectly. However the left hand lever seems to have a false detent to it. From the fully engaged home position when pulled it does not have progressive tention. After about 1/4 of the travel it finds this false detent. And will stay in this position unless pushed or pulled past this spot. It seems to engage and disengage the clutch properly but hitting this funky spot in the travel is very frustrating. This issue was there when I purchased this machine in December. today I put a bar down the hole next to the assist spring and manually released the clutch whal operating the left lever. It did not seem to change the issue. So whatever the issue is lyes in the spring assist system. I did try turning both adjusting nuts on the linkage. Without luck. I can see the right clutch linkage assist spring sits at a slightly different position than the left. I can't seem to find anything directly related to making these adjustments in any of my books. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images

This should be what you need.

Thank you!

Do you have these instructions?

I believe I do have that. I couldn't find the section referring to the booster spring adjustment. Thank you! Here's a question does normal wear cause this shim/ bumper to get out of wack? Or is this someone screwing around in there?

Found a broken spring. But this was on the left clutch. I tightened the clutch adjustment up to where it has just a small amount of free play. and found that my issue seems to have gone away. I also found some play in the right hand lever where it's keyed to the shaft. I'll address this and re adjust everything and see where I'm at then. Went ahead and tigged the spring back together. We will see how it holds up.

That looks a neat job on tbe spring. Good luck with that.
    Have you tried Cat partstore for the spring. It is probably available new.