Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D6 Pony Motor Pinion Issue

Have you had it completely apart? Wonder if you catches are worn down and rounded. I purchased a new spring for mine as the old one was broken.

Yes, and that's really what the question to Eddie is, is how "perfect" does that surface on the latches need to be. I don't recall them being noticeably rounded but when I pull it out again, I'll check positively. Possible that my replacement spring is weak too I suppose.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Default Latch Face Truth

Hi Neil,
    now I follow your question--can't say I ever really checked that the latch face was sitting squarely on the latching face of the bolt head.
    I usually checked that there was no wear to the latch faces and if they were worn new ones were fitted, so from that I would say it is desirable to have a non-tapered connection or else it would surely open the latches and allow the pinion to disengage when running against the compression pulses.
    Now that parts are scarcer, and I would be paying, I could see a judicious grind to true up the latch faces to sit squarely would be in order.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

There was a thread not too long ago where the drawing for one half was posted. If you do grind, or just inspect, it would be good to have a target.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Ok good, that all sounds like I'm on the right track. Thanks gentlemen
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Shandon, California. Near the home of the Best of the West Tractor Show.

Default Pinion Clutch Disc Condition

I have the pinion assembly apart and well cleaned. The steel clutch discs and the bronze clutch discs have some scoring on them, not enough to catch your fingernail on when you drag it across. Is this something to address? I could polish them out with some emery cloth. But is that necessary?

Even though I've read about the discs sticking together from oil film, I was surprised how much they really do stick together. Even after the oil was off and it was just degreaser, they would come back together and it would take some effort to pull/slide them apart. I'm definitely applying the Sasquatch Bevel to the bronze discs. Should the bronze clutch brake disc also be beveled?

As always, thank you for your help.

Default Pony Starter Pinion Latch Drawing

Hi Team
    as said above of a recent scan, below is a copy of the scan of a Latch Engineering Drawing.
    When ever someone posts something like this I always save it for future use.
    Hope it helps.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Saved and ready to reference! Thanks Eddie
    Cheers,
    Neil.