Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New owner of a #12 Cat grader Don't know nothing about it. Help!!!PLS

I big time appreciate all the advice. Just letting you folks know that there is the proper way and then there is the way I'll have to resort to. It's not a budget thing because I don't have a budget. There is no money for a budget and I am not being cheap or frugal. Just don't want anyone thinking I'm cheap or lazy and I don't want to depress anyone with my tail of woe. We all got problems and no one need to hear mine. Proper way would just be sleeves pistons bearings rebuilt heads new valves seat's gaskets. That's the proper way. I don't get that luxury. I don't get any of that. I gotta make due with what I have. Weld it, braze it grind it, cut gaskets from cereal boxes if I have to.

Default Doin' Wott U Kann.

Hi, Pushin'daisies.
    Do the best you can with what you have. I think there's a lotta people on this BB who will do what they can to help you do what you can.

You might like to listen to the song at this link for a bit of inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwdJswI34Jg

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Pushin'daisies.
    Do the best you can with what you have. I think there's a lotta people on this BB who will do what they can to help you do what you can.

You might like to listen to the song at this link for a bit of inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwdJswI34Jg

Just my 0.02.
    Thanks! That's what I am doing. Best I can with what I have. I am sure there are a ton of people that will help out. inspirational music? I got lots of that and memories. This is me on drums 30 days after my last stemcell transplant. Doc would have had my hide if he knew. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I5qAIZjKq0

Default Lookin' good.

Hi, Pushin' daisies.
    Lookin' and soundin' good. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, it's probably best that your doc don't know.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

made the tool to get the pre-combustion chambers out last night. Figured i'd give it a whirl this morning.

Note To self: Need to do this kind of stuff with the heads firmly bolted to the block. Jerking pulling pushing head and I are moving twisting and spinning but those chambers aren't budging yet.

So, here is where I'm at. Striped both heads completely except the pre combustion chambers in the rear head still have to come out. Still haven't found the antifreeze leak. I'm suspecting it's in the pre combustion chambers of the rear head because the front ones were fine. I've been working for days now and searching for tools like a seat grinder. A couple of seats were far too pitted to be lapped out. Also I have to do some welding on two valves to even attempt to remove the pitting. Finally found a seat grinder and did both heads yesterday. Took me a full day of trying to get the pre combustion chambers out of the first head. Finally had to stack a few hundred pounds of iron on the head to hold it down then the ratchet with a 2 foot handle and a 2 foot snipe to the point of lifting the head and iron up then beat the hell out of the ratchet handle at the 2 foot mark with a dead blow to finally get them broke loose. I expect the second head will be as bad. Real glad I chose grade 8 to make the tool. I don't think grade 5 would have survived the beating.

Little late now but I would have opened up the pan side plates and pressurized the water system to see if the lower liner seals were leaking. They are rubber and can sometimes be sealed with Bars Leak or Dyke stop leak. I have seen water cavitation on other diesels (cat 3208)(IH DT466) eat the cast-iron and cause pin holes in the bore.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T6995 running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 22, ser#438