Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with oil pump on 112 grader

Default Need help with oil pump on 112 grader

Hello I have a 112 grader that has a seized engine. I had a d4 that was in bad shape but the motor runs awesome so I thought why not put the crawler motor in the grader. The issue I'm running into is that the oil pump on the cat motor is too high and hits the oil pan before the pan touches the block. The grader has some sort of a oil sprayer in it and it's impossible to put it in the cat engine. Do I need that?

Default Differences.

Hi, curtward.
    There are many instances where various Cat engines have been used in multiple applications. In many cases, these engines have different oil pans and different oil pickups due to the configurations of the machines in which are placed. Crawler tractors and graders are 2 such cases. They each need a more or less specific shape of oil pan to fit the configuration of the machine and thus need different oil pickups to cope with the different pan shapes.

I am not a mechanic and I have never been inside of engines in either of the configurations that you have and so I am not able to go into specifics but crawlers and 'dozers in general have oil pan/pickup arrangements that allow the engine to extract oil from the pan on steeper angles than the engines in graders 'cos that's what crawlers do and where they go to 'play'.

No doubt somebody with more knowledge than I have will come along soon to answer you in more detail.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Thanks for your input. I'm new to this stuff so it's a head scratcher. If it comes down to not running it on steep angles than good enough. It's just a toy anyway

Default "Toy"???????????????????????????????????

Hi, curtward.
    "Toy"???????????????????? C'mon, Man. Be serious.. You may want to use it as a toy but they are all serious machines. NO joke. LOL.

While it is largely about the working environment of the machine, it also has a LOTTT to do with the configuration of the machine into which the engine is going. F'rinstance, the oil pan and pickup also need to be different on the D4 than on the grader 'cos of the shape of the space into which the engine is being installed. The D4 engine pan needs to fit around the equaliser spring while the grader pan needs to fit around around the bevel gear housing. For this reason, you need 2 different oil pans and 2 different pickups.

This means that the pans need to be different shapes with the deepest parts of the pan in different areas of the pan thus requiring different pickups.

I am not aware of any 'sprayer' in the 112 engine lube system but, as stated earlier, I have never been inside one of them.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Default Serial Number Required Please

Hi Curt,
    so as to give you factual assistance a S/No would help, as we need firstly to know if your machine has an oil clutch as fitted to later variants of the 112 Grader.
    This oil clutch set up makes a big difference as to the engine lube pump assembly, lines, pan and indeed also the flywheel housing fitted.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Serial # 3u4767

Quote Originally Posted by curtward View Post
    Hello I have a 112 grader that has a seized engine. I had a d4 that was in bad shape but the motor runs awesome so I thought why not put the crawler motor in the grader. The issue I'm running into is that the oil pump on the cat motor is too high and hits the oil pan before the pan touches the block. The grader has some sort of a oil sprayer in it and it's impossible to put it in the cat engine. Do I need that?
    Hey Guys, Read his last sentence. Anybody know about the oil sprayer he is talking about? My first thought was use the oil system off of the grader engine also.
    Curtward? Why is it impossible to put the sprayer on the tractor engine? Yes (serial numbers from both engines) would help to solve this mystery
    Last edited by oldbeek; 07-22-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Cat 12 grader, 8T6995 running and restoring, Cat 12 grader 9K3585. parts machine, Adams leaning wheel Pull grader Mod # 22, ser#438

I'll get you the dozers serial number. Reason it can't be mounted is because the block doesn't even have any casting in the area to drill a hole to mount it. When I say sprayer it's gear driven off the front of the engine and it looks like A pair of rotors in a supercharger. I will get some pics of it. And Is fed oil from the pump. (There's still a line going to the crank too)

Default Swap?

Hi, curtward.
    I would suggest that this swap could be done if the grader oil pan will bolt up to the D4 block and the back end of the D4 engine will bolt up to the grader clutch housing. You will likely need to modify the oil pickup from the D4 engine to fit the grader oil pan but I doubt the D4 engine will need that 'sprayer' from the grader engine.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Sounds to me like your dealing with an early and late D315. The 3U4767 uses an engine balancer, the early D4's do not. The 3U has a unique oil pan with drain extension and single stage oil pump.