Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13A Questions

These numbers all cross, 1H5624, 1M3495, 4M9112, 4H9987, 3S4040 and probably more. 9M9110 is not a good number for a piston, but 4M9110 is a good number for a piston body. Here is the list of compatible machines, no reference to a cross to the 1H series.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Andrew and josh,
    Lifted the head up on the 1H and as you said Andrew no recess for the valves which I suspected after our messages the other day, just had to make sure. Seems to me there is two common ones, the non recessed earlier type and the recessed later type also with the thermal insert in the top. Seems both of these could have 4 rings with the earlier ones having up to 6 and the later ones could have 3.
    I’ll try some of those part no’s josh and see what I can get around the traps, thanks again

Default Pilot Motor

Hi All,
    Moving on to the pilot motor now, having trouble getting .040” over rings and .020” under big end bearings here in Oz, does anyone know where I can get them
    Part No’s
    4B-8822 Oil Ring .040”
    4B-8826 Comp Ring .040”

5B-4316 Bearing (Lower) .020”
    5B-4317 Bearing (Upper) .020”

Thanks
    DD79C8D5-845F-4C2E-811B-A18BB5046F60.jpgE5FAFB6C-9FA8-43A8-9C0D-76BE31685980.jpg06D7D65A-D362-4EE6-92AD-BAA571BDD2BE.jpg

Must be too wet for earthworks if you are getting all this done. Can't help but go for it, get er done.
    cheers Col

Default Babbit Metal Spray

Hi Mark,
    we must be getting near the end of the available parts for some of these engines.
    In the past I have used a soldering iron to build up Babbit lined bearing shells--admittedly in engines much less stressed than these.
    Made up and machined a jig to machine the re-babbited shells in the lathe with success.

I wonder if metal spray techniques may be a way out of this in future.
    Any good condition steel backed Babbitted bearing shell could be re-claimed by this method -- link to a company in the States that does this--just need to find a fair cost company that does it here.
    I guess do not throw away old scabby bearings as they may be a way to keep going in future.
    Might have to scour some old Repco catalogues and see if I/we can match the size steel back OD and width.
    Seems I heard that Morris Minor shells may fit the rods in D2/4 pony big ends--do not quote me, but, anything is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU2JeURtdZ4

Once worked on a 1940's/50's I guess Inter Farmall Diesel wheel tractor engine that the owner had had the B/E shells re-copper leaded with metal spray--far as i know it is still running.
    Cu/Pb shells would need hardened crank and pressure fed lube system to live I would guess.

Mob that did it was in Melbourne but likely long gone now as it was some 30 or more years ago.

Any way just some ramblings from an old cheap skate restorer.

Like the Boomaroo? earth movers there--my Tournarocker and Tournadozer that Father Christmas bought me many years ago are what got me into this trade. Recall many hours of fun making roads etc. in the sandpit and garden beds--still have 'em.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Hi Gents,
    Yes Col squeezing in a project while we’re idle. Hopefully only a couple of more weeks of wet then some drying out time.

We have some crafty blokes out at the lake that know a thing or to about this bearing caper, but like you say these little engines are Pritty much running at peak performance which I think would require as close to original as we can get. The later model pressure fed stuff seems easier to get but we won’t let that slow us down.

The fleet parked up under my feet are onto there third generation and some have under gone certified rebuilds, the grader in particular is on its third mouldboard and second coat of paint. There mostly tonka with one boomerang belly dumper there. I’ll see if the shift boss will let me take a couple of photos for you!!

I’m awaiting a reply from Tilly’s on the rings and bearings, the guy originally seemed like it wouldn’t be a problem just have to find the right supplier so fingers crossed. I’ll keep you posted
    Thanks