Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1953 D4 Caterpillar

Gees! what do guys expect???? This is an old farm Cat! its under cover, the cylinders are not rusty and leaking, the idlers are not out to the end of the track frames, its not all beat up, or a bunch of crap welded on it, meter shows around 4000 hrs! Looks like a good old tractor!!!!!!!!!!! If you don't like it, then rebuild one or buy a newer tractor. You'll find out how much money you can dump in one these if you want it like "brand new". Ok, I've said enough.

Default project D4 7U 38803

I will concur with Rome. I just did a D4 steering clutches, brakes, valve job, cylinder and ring set, head set, repaired seized oil clutch pump and input shaft bearing ,resealed final drive pinions, Hahn seat, resealed hyd system + filter, repaired rad side panels, big engine front seal , rebuilt pony motor, all rebuilt 6V electrics, new big ring gear, inj. pump out and resealed plus a ton of little bits that you don't even think of that add $ to the equation. Undercarriage was excellent and was the reason I bought the tractor. It was a 5 roller with solid front idlers and 8ft straight blade. The finished total was just a hair over $7000, including the original price and transport. The tractor will run another 50 years.

There are prices all over and just have evaluate what and where it is for the money. I have seen the same tractor go for over $12000. Just buyer and market forces.
    Herb
    USA M2 5E3562SP

Default Supply and demand

Herb: I didnít see how many hours labor you spent on your tractor!
    It does add up quickly. I agree with you, it should last another 50 years easily.
    My last dozer cost me about that. With local fire cleanup, etc. I think I paid a LOT; as one said, I got carried away at auction, but I now own a very clean D4 that didnít require any major work.
    Any tractor around here tends to sell for a premium.(with blade)
    Opinions I suppose, but sure, I would have been happier to have only paid $3000.00 for mine, but market forces (auction) made it go higher. JM

Puregoldcat, here's a couple of charts to help you determine link wear. Main thing will be to determine what links you have to look up the right numbers:

cat old link specs.jpg

cattrackwearchartaf3.jpg

These ones are for the rollers and idlers:

Stoody Reco Dim 4.jpg

Stoody Reco Dim 3.jpg

Stoody Reco Dim 2.jpg

Stoody Reco Dim 1.jpg
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I disagree Rome K/G---the owner admits that he is not a tractor guy and doesn't know much about them but has thrown out a % worn number based on the sprockets. I just tried to inform him that there are many more aspects of the undercarriage that need to be explored---the machine may well be worth the $12000 but without an inspection how would you know??
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

JM, I never did keep track of my labor. I just do this for fun and the joy of ownership of quality CAT vintage iron.
    But to hazard a guess over 9 mos. must have been 700 hrs. I WISH I could get paid for the labor !

HF
    Herb
    USA M2 5E3562SP

What i notice to with some sellers is they never show good photos of the bottom rollers or sprockets, maybe they dont want to because they are really worn? Still the machine looks like its in good condition. 8K is still a little high.