Thread: pressure washer sandblaster

Default pressure washer sandblaster

Anyone have experience with this type of setup? I've watched some videos and read reviews, seems like they work but wondering if anyone has practical experience. My air compressor has trouble keeping up but my pressure washer can put out 4000 psi all day. Really like sandblasting for cleaning but it takes a lot of effort, just looking for a better option
    Thanks

I personally have not but am interested in one, on you tube channel svseeker he made a nice set up sandblasting with water and air. Remote started from the gun.

I read a rather long thread on another forum about the water sandblasters. The jury was all over the board but the one main complaint was that they were slow compared to a normal similar rated sandblaster. Another complaint was the water itself fostered even faster surface rust while trying to get the recessed areas dried out and primed. There was a number of folks that really liked them also.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

I have one and honestly before I saw one used I was skeptical of the rust, but honestly if you are worried about rust then donít dry blast as well.

It requires lots of water volume and media to do a good job. It will blast through layers of paint and grime like nothing. Rust takes considerable more time thus more media to get through.

Feeding of the media really is susceptible to little changes in the weather.

I keep a sprayer with phosphorus prep and etch and as I am done with the piece I wipe it down and blow it off and then spray and wipe the metal prep on there which leaves a light powdery grey finish on the metal.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would work as good as my little pressure pot. I'm not expecting it to be any faster or solve the feeding problem, just seems like the pressure washer could keep going when the air compressor needs to catch up. I typically use about half a bag of sand then have to wait for the compressor. I've also noticed if I run more than half a bag I have problems with clogging from moisture in the air.

I noticed some youtube users don't have a lid on their media bucket which seems like it invites moisturizing. Some of them orient the feed tube on the top side of the head so that water doesn't backflow when they pause blasting.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I noticed some youtube users don't have a lid on their media bucket which seems like it invites moisturizing. Some of them orient the feed tube on the top side of the head so that water doesn't backflow when they pause blasting.
    I was thinking a lid was a must, and I've seen where the tube was on top. Some others mentioned the feed tube was ok as long as you were blasting, then point it down when not blasting to keep the water from getting into the sand. I usually try to do my sandblasting this time of year because the sand/moisture problems arent as bad.

I just purchased the comet pump wet blast unit from Toolbarn for $92. Based on my research
    It seemed to be the heavy duty model of what was out there. They sell the 0 degree
    Nozzles.
    I did find the cheapest way was to buy it from them on eBay. My current pressure washer
    is on the low side of power, I had planned to upgrade.
    For the price, and the YouTube results seem pretty good, I figured it was worth a shot. Like mentioned earlier, by CR, phosphorous prep is required to keep from flash rusting.
    Iím planning on using Eastwood Afterblast prep, they use it on their wet blast videos
    And a little Afterblast goes a long way. Iíll keep my dry pressure pot, not worth selling,
    At this point. The wet unit will be another tool in the restoration arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackrider View Post
    I just purchased the comet pump wet blast unit from Toolbarn for $92. Based on my research
    It seemed to be the heavy duty model of what was out there. They sell the 0 degree
    Nozzles.
    I did find the cheapest way was to buy it from them on eBay. My current pressure washer
    is on the low side of power, I had planned to upgrade.
    For the price, and the YouTube results seem pretty good, I figured it was worth a shot. Like mentioned earlier, by CR, phosphorous prep is required to keep from flash rusting.
    Iím planning on using Eastwood Afterblast prep, they use it on their wet blast videos
    And a little Afterblast goes a long way. Iíll keep my dry pressure pot, not worth selling,
    At this point. The wet unit will be another tool in the restoration arsenal.
    Good information, I'd be curious to see how it works out for you. I'm thinking for the price it's probably worth trying. Even if I don't use it for paint removal some of the Cats are petty dirty just to get to paint