Thread: Cat 922B transmission/hydraulic oil type

Default Cat 922B transmission/hydraulic oil type

I have a mid 60's cat 922b front end loader and need to change the transmission fluid. After doing a lot of searches online i was no closer to finding the answer to my question which was, what kind of oil should I use in the transmission. It seems like everyone has their own opinion on what brand/type of oil that should be used so I was unable to find a definitive answer. I picked up some Rotella HD transmission/hydraulic oil that meets cat TO-2 specs since I was unable to find any fluid that meets the cat TO-4 specs. Will the TO-2 spec oil work in my transmission without doing any harm or internal damage? I had read an article that said TO-2 oil is now obsolete and TO-4 oil should be used as a suitable alternative. Like I stated before, I could not find any TO-4 spec oil in my area so I was wondering if the TO-2 spec oil I picked up will work in my loader without a problem. Thanks, Dan

Default Trans oil

I was also looking for TO-4 oil. I have Castrol Trans-c 30 in my 922B now. Also found 5 gal pail at Tractor Supply with special order. Super S Super Trac TO 4 approx $70. Mobil also has it over $100 for 5 gal pail.

Good luck,
    Herb
    USA M2 5E3562SP

I bought Kendall/Phillips66 to4 oil in 5 gallon buckets--most any oil distributor can order what you need
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Depends on what you mean by "hurt anything".
    TO-2 won't kill your transmission but the T0-4 is what should be used to optimize clutch friction, retention and slippage control and improve clutch life.

Default Cat 922B TO-2 fluid

I realize that TO-2 trans/hydraulic fluid has been superseded by TO-4 and is recommended by cat, but I was in a pinch and could only get TO-2 from tractor supply. I have a 1964 or 1965 cat 922B front end loader and needed to get the loader back in service so I went with the only fluid i could find which was Rotella HD TO-2 sae 30. I only run the loader a couple dozen times a year and was wondering if this was a suitable oil to run for a short period of time until I can get some TO-4. I just wanna know if I can run the TO-2 for a little while without damaging the transmission. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Dan

there shouldn't be any problem running the t0-2 oil. most older power shift transmissions were originally spec out to use engine motor oil so the TO-2 is a step above that
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

@Dependzic, thank you for the quick response and the information you provided. Thanks, Dan

Default TO-2 oil

I have been using TO-2 in 955H trans for several years with no problems.
    D4D D65R D73T 933C HT4 955H Gardner Denver comp.318 Cat.