Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pony motor has locked up ideas please

Default pony motor has locked up ideas please

the pony on our d4 has locked up after it was running stopped suddenly with a slight rattle and now wont turn over. it shouldnt be a lack of oil causation since it has just had a oil change and the level was spot on when checked before starting. always oil and fuel your machine at the beginning of the day and grease at the end.

gem dozer and others have suggested pull the mag and check it for damage.

any more ideas would be appreciated.

by the way anyone know what model and hp Wisconsin the pilot motors are
    Last edited by trainzkid88; 08-24-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Default Wisconsin Pony

Hi,
    am confused by your question on HP of Wisconsin Pony engine. Are you contemplating a Wisconsin conversion or does it already have one ?
    The usual pony for one of these Diesels--assuming J or U series Serial Number-- is a Caterpillar built twin cylinder horizontally opposed water cooled engine mounted across the top of the Diesel Flywheel Housing. The Cat pony engine develops 10HP @ 3,000 RPM.

If you have a Wisconsin conversion then some pix may help--sorry, I cannot post pix at present to show you what the Cat pony looks like.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

[QUOTE=edb;227402]Hi,
    am confused by your question on HP of Wisconsin Pony engine. Are you contemplating a Wisconsin conversion or does it already have one ?
    The usual pony for one of these Diesels--assuming J or U series Serial Number-- is a Caterpillar built twin cylinder horizontally opposed water cooled engine mounted across the top of the Diesel Flywheel Housing. The Cat pony engine develops 10HP @ 3,000 RPM.

If you have a Wisconsin conversion then some pix may help--sorry, I cannot post pix at present to show you what the Cat pony looks like.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.[/QUOTE
    we were told by the bloke we got her from they were a wisconsin design and had no reason to doubt him and from experience with other antique motors we know a lot of badge engineering went on ronaldson bros & tippet sold their type ''n'' engine under 30 different names everything from sunshine(H.V.McKay) to international harvester and they made wisconsin engines under licence during the ww2

here is a D2 pony which is the same as a D4

D2 starter 001.jpg
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

There's two possible pony motors that could be on a D4 tractor. If you look at a recent post called Buzz bomb pony video, you will at least get the sound of the later type (post 1959). Those ponies fit into a hole in flywheel housing that can be adapted to an electric starter quite simply.

There could be a place to install a starter on late model (1956-1959?????) D4. Earlier models can be modified to install one. OldMagnet has the dimensions and many have done it, some even with the engine still in the tractor!. Look below pony pinion for a triangular shaped 3 bolt cover or the flat boss in the cast housing where the starter mounting hole can be bored.

Or you could fix the pony. Common failure mode is to let oil get diluted with gasoline and then run it, taking out the rod bearings and resulting in sudden, catastrophic failure. Not withstanding your attention to maintenance, they are still all old and stuff breaks. There's still lots of stuff available to fix a pony, but it won't be cheap by the time you do it right.

Don't ignore Hector's advice about checking the magneto. They have been known to break the magneto shaft and I think I have heard of breaking a gear too. You won't be out any extra labor to take a look in there before you do anything else.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

As always, a ser# and a few pics will help get to the bottom of most situations more quickly and accurately.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Read this all the other day , By never twigged you were so close .
    I am up near Gladstone . PM me your Phone number .As May be able to help with tracking down a Pilot motor in your back yard so to speak .

As ccjersey and Gemdozer sayd, take the maganeto off and see if that frees up the engine.

I once had a 9U Starting engine lock up hard. Dayton Tractor told me to remove the mag before I do anything and that turned out to be the source of the lockup. Of course there was an impulse coupler involved and I thin in your case there is no impulse so I dont know how the mag could stop the engine from turning, nut nevertheless the mag is easy to remove and it will help with the diag.
    John Liebermann
    2 9U's, 5J, IHC544, Ford860, (All working farm tractors)
    cojhl2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by STEPHEN View Post
    As always, a ser# and a few pics will help get to the bottom of most situations more quickly and accurately.
    its a 6u. ser 6246

Quote Originally Posted by ianoz View Post
    Read this all the other day , By never twigged you were so close .
    I am up near Gladstone . PM me your Phone number .As May be able to help with tracking down a Pilot motor in your back yard so to speak .
    ian clear your pm folder its full and i cant pm you