Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D3 B Water in oil

Ohwell D3 B Water in oil

Hello All

I can use some insight as why my D3B got water in engine oil
    Cat service man think it condensation. , The machine was not used for a while . I had to change my knee

Got it running again now have this to deal with. Drained the oil and took the filter out. Filled the radiator overnight it did not go down

I would like to flush the engine , what is the best way

I suspect the oil cooler if its not condensation--I flush my machines engine and tranny, by just changing the oil
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

With no liners and belt drive water pump there aren't many sources for water in oil. Do you see any bubbles in the radiator when running? Oil cooler will put oil in water not usually the other way round. Head gasket and/or cracks would be most likely source. Do a couple of oil changes and monitor levels, could just be condensation, doesn't take much to foul the oil.

Thumbs up D3b

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    With no liners and belt drive water pump there aren't many sources for water in oil. Do you see any bubbles in the radiator when running? Oil cooler will put oil in water not usually the other way round. Head gasket and/or cracks would be most likely source. Do a couple of oil changes and monitor levels, could just be condensation, doesn't take much to foul the oil.
    Hi Old Magnet

Good to hear from , I was surprised when that happened , but having been out commission for a while should expected it.
    I wanted to confirm from the expert before tearing into major repair . I got the oil drained and will put new filter and see what happens

Thank you

There are also some core cup plugs in the head (under the valve cover) that can rot out and leak. I'd check those first if your still missing coolant.

Well I don t know if this mean anything , as I stated earlier that I filled the radiator with water and now for about 3 days water level did not go down at all.
    Now the engine has been drained from oil , I was thinking that some water level will go down due to gravity if there any leaks.

While itís true a leaky oil cooler almost always puts oil into radiator coolant, WHEN the tractor has been sitting up, it can easily fill oil pan with coolant. Then the leak is discovered and more major engine repairs undertaken and completed before the engine is ever run. THEN THE OIL GETS PUSHED OUT THE LEAK INTO THE COOLANT.

Not good😁
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Hey Magnet
    good comment CC Jersey, we Alabama boys need to stick together
    I am working on finding the leak . in the meantime rebuilding other things such hydraulic cylinders. have 2 leaking .

would like to know if the front seal crankshaft can be changed with out taking the front hood and radiator. At least the cat shop manual show that it can be changed. of course they have special tooling.

Smile D3B Update & steering

I spend all week draining all fluid from Engine and transmission and changed the oil filter, cleaned the screen etc.
    Put new oil. Started the engine and let warm up in 95 deg Alabama fall weather. Good news the engine is fine and water in the oil.

Rebuild all hydraulic cylinder, they needed. Also made sure all drain plugs had their seals O ring, which they leaked..
    Also opened the steering clutches compartment to make sure no oil leak or water and also loosened the brake pads to make they are now stuck. .
    so far I can drive it but can not steer. I have not put it under a load yet

Now have to go thru the steering clutches adjustment to make sure they are releasing .
    Any suggestion

are they dry steering clutches or wet clutches as mine has?
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U