Thread: low on power, injection pump worth rebuilding?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default low on power, injection pump worth rebuilding?

My machine is a 977 20 A with the D318
    I cracked the lines and number 3 cyl wasn't dropping.
    Tested compression on 2 and 3, got 350 PSI, which I was told was low
    Pulled off inspection plate and looked for a stuck plunger, didn't see anything, things seem to be moving up and down.
    Also tried running threw ultrasonic then swapping out injector nozzles in 2 and 3.
    The machine is a dog on power, hard to get a full scoop of dirt, won't hardly go up a hill in 2nd with a scoop of dirt, etc.
    Do you think the injection pump is worth rebuilding or where should I go from here? The compression being low has me spooked. Wish it had more black smoke and fuel coming out of the engine under load. It does OK as a first gear small tree pusher but struggles with dirt work and I"m about to give up on it.
    Other thing I was wondering will a clogged fuel filter cause the machine to be low on power? The fuel gauge shows pressure is good.
    I have a video of the injector pumps going up and down, I'm about to give up, watch think, lost cause?
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pQnBdPmV7Cc6Nn6p6

Machine has a nice winch on it, loose tracks, leaks, but is a ton of fun other than being low on power. I'm really hung on it not having enough grunt to push the crap I wanna push.

First thing I would do is service the fuel filters, then worry about other things.
    Chuck C

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C View Post
    First thing I would do is service the fuel filters, then worry about other things.
    Chuck C
    Can the fuel filter cause it to be low on power? Only one I know of is in the tower

Yes if it is not getting enough fuel it will be low on power. I really have a hard time believing the 350 compression. If that is true it would be very difficult to start, would need starting fluid to start and to run until it got warm. If it starts without starting fluid your compression reading is BS. So tells us how it starts!!

No starting fluid, no glow plugs, just have to crank for a bit (blows white smoke while cranking) then fires of, sometimes I have to crank for 20-30 secs I'll pay closer attention to time cranking seems if throttle is about half way it starts easiest

It's there more filters than the big one in tower that need replaced? I've got good flow from tank

It's there more filters than the big one in tower that need replaced? I've got good flow from tank