Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One for the experts - Cat 637D scraper.

Default Thank You For Explainations

Hi Sprocket71,
    thank you for your explanations of the machine layout and most importantly your findings a fix.

I am not sure who you are referring some of your explanations to, if it was myself, my suggestion was for a mix up with the Injection pump constant bleed (9 gal/hour) return lines back to the fuel tank from either the front or rear engines Inj. Pumps, if fitted, this in turn being connected into the Hyd system somehow and somewhere--you fellows did great to trace said line to bottom of the hyd tank--was the added fitting put into the tank drain port I wonder.

Now you have described that we we have a Sleeve Metering pump on the rear engine and the 3408 would have a Scroll type injection pump on the front engine.
    I was not sure if if there was a fuel tank for each end or one for both as is the case.

It would seem to me that someone has sabotaged the machine by adding a fitting to the hyd tank and attaching the fuel return to it.
    Operators at some of our projects would deliberately Downshift 8 speed scraper and 7 speed truck transmissions into Rev. at full speed Fwd to get time off. Catastrophic failures occurred. Cat soon came up with Downshift Inhibitors for these and other machines.
    Spiking tyres was another favorite too.
    The mind boggles.

Best Regards,
    Eddie B.

Default Fuel tanks, etc..

Hi, Sprocket and edb.
    This particular machine has two separate fuel tanks, one for the front engine in the same place as the fuel tank for the 631D, ahead of the right front wheel, and one for the rear engine above the rear transmission and behind the bowl, above the front of the rear wheels.

I didn't get a look at where the fuel return line had been fed into the hydraulic tank. These old bones don't move as freely as they wunce useta, so I left all the 'mountain goat' and 'contortionist' stuff to Patrick, the ranch foreman. Heeza good guy.

It seems we may have beaten the problem. The hydraulic tank level stayed pretty much the same throughout today's 'sand pit activities'.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default Sprocket 71

good show guys. our 637D WAS CONVERTED TO A TWIN ENGINE WATER PULL 8000 GALLON. iT HAS ONE TANK. mY MIND IS A LITTLE FOGGY . I thought the three 63x tractors were prefix 25W for 631 26W for 633d and 27W for 637D Do I have these in the wrong order?

Default Sprocket 71

I looked at Dee's PDF and see I had the prefixes in the wrong order. Do you have the parts reference for late serial number 637D? The one at the land fill definitely only had one tank. It was equipped with a Wiggins quick fill. I no longer have access to SIS web and I didn't keep any manuals. In this case I am sure the great sleuthing has found the problem. I am curious about the one or two tank. Was it generational or was our water pull a rare bird. Our bread and butter here was 657B,E,Gs some 666B and a few 660B. The housing boom in Southern California was building houses 10,000 at a time. The 637's were just too small for the amount of dirt to be moved so I didn't spend allot of time around them.

Default Ser. # designations.

Hi, Sprocket71.
    I can't answer for the 631D and 633D but our 637D is a 27W series and does have the Wiggins fast-fill system - wish we had the facilities to use it here as it takes about 40 to 45 minutes to refill with fuel after a 7 1/2 hour day using the 12 volt battery powered 3/4"pump we currently have.

I did run a 633D for about 3 months but can't remember the serial # prefix - 'ackshully', I'm a bit annoyed with myself about that 'cos it was only back in late 1984.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Default Fingers crossed.

Hi, Folks.
    Fingers crossed - we may have solved the problem of the fuel getting into the hydraulic tank. The hydraulic tank level stayed about the same for the 3 /12 hours that we managed to get in today - before the D9H 'laid a long, brown egg' by blowing a blade tilt hose somewhere under the cab.

C'est la vie.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Default Crossed lines

Hey Deas,
    I crossed up the fuel return line with the elevator case drain on a 615C one time. It did half a load and blew the fuel filter off the base. Caused quite a commotion in the pit lol.
    You’ll make a fine mechanic with all this experience
    Cheers
    Hutchy

Deas,

Must be the water table has receded enough to get your pond project started? If so, pics would be nice. Did you get the front wheel seal that was leaking last May fixed?

Interestingly, I am watching your PM Scott Morrison meeting Mr. Trump on TV as I writing this. Now they are playing your national anthem. Very nice!

JanM

Default Full Story After The Fact

Hi Team,
    now we know why it was converted to run the rear engine's Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Return line back to the front Fuel Tank--except some one goofed and attached it to the Hyd. tank by mistake.

Good job sorting it out fellas as it is sort of one outside the normal expectation. Modifications usually have some issues to sort.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Default This Saga............................

Hi, Folks.
    This saga may not be over. I had a phone call from the ranch foreman late yesterday saying that the hydraulic tank was almost full to the top with diesel fuel - - - again.

HOW???????????????????????????

This kew-ree-yuss mind would like to know.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.