2019 Gone Farmin' Fall Premier Auction

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One for the experts - Cat 637D scraper.

Default Which Way Is Up????????????????

Hi, Ray54.
    it seems to me that you ALLEGED 'topsiders' have more problems with the concept of 'DowNunda' than us DowNunda residents do. Why might that be?

A kew-ree-yuss mind would like to know.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Default Perhaps?????????????????

Hi, Folks.
    Several of us went and lifted a few covers on the old girl this morning and had a bit of a look around. I noticed one small fuel line coming out of the top front of the injector pump which I thought could well be a return line. With some little difficulty - and more than a few grunts and groans - we managed to trace it to a block firmly attached to the bottom of the HYDRAULIC tank.

Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but neither I nor either of the other two aging juvenile delinquents who were present could see any valid reason why this be, especially after we found a blanked off elbow of apparently the same size as the line we had followed up near the top of the FUEL tank. So, the 'mathematician' amongst us put 2 and 2 together - and came up with 7 - and we all decided it was time to call President Trump to ask for his advice.

While we were waiting for that call to go through, we held a vote to see if we should make an executive decision ourselves about whether we ought to take a chance and simply put the fuel line up to the elbow in the fuel tank and put the brass cap on the fitting in the bottom of the hydraulic tank. The vote came up, 'Yes', so we made the executive decision, moved the fuel line to the fitting at the top of the fuel tank, put the cap on the fitting in the hydraulic tank and took the beast for a run by doing a couple of loads.

Lo and behold, the hydraulic fluid level had only risen by about what you might expect it would due to the oil being heated up, about 3/4 of an inch.

Fingers crossed, we will give it a longer run tomorrow and report back.

Thank again for all the responses.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Good maths Deas, you solved the problem.

Default Trumpeting????????????

Hi, OZPHIL2.
    I'm probably not going to trumpet it from the rooftops ever but certainly not until we've done a bit more with it to see how it goes now. That said, though, I am hopeful.

It has been a bit of a journey though and one of which you were a part in the early stages - 45 gallons (well, U.S. gallons) pumped out of hydraulic tank to get it down to the correct level.

Now whooda thunkitt that ANYBODY who has been around these machines for any length of time would connect a return fuel line to a hydraulic tank???????????????????????? Certainly not this little black duck.

What amazes me as well is just how much fuel must go through that little return line to put around 45 (U.S.) gallons in the WRONG tank in just 9 self-loaded loads onna 300 yard haul 'cos that tank was FULL when the boys took the lid off this morning.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Deas,

You wrote "So, the 'mathematician' amongst us put 2 and 2 together - and came up with 7 - and we all decided it was time to call President Trump to ask for his advice."

Sorry the President was too busy to get involved and I can vouch for him because at 11:15 AM, Air Force One flew right over my house at about 1500 feet as I was working on my TWENTY in the back yard. I was so startled, I ran around looking for my phone only to finally find it in my pocket. By that time, he was almost out of sight on the glide path into Miramar Marine Air Station.

I am glad you traced down your problem. Somebody messed up before the ranch bought that machine but I think you have the problem solved. Unfortunately the advice I offered by way of Sprocket71 was derived from the 657 design. You see, the San Diego area had the largest concentration of 657s back in the day so my friend has limited knowledge for the "little boys" that you were asking about.

JanM

Default This might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, OZPHIL2.
    I'm probably not going to trumpet it from the rooftops ever but certainly not until we've done a bit more with it to see how it goes now. That said, though, I am hopeful.

It has been a bit of a journey though and one of which you were a part in the early stages - 45 gallons (well, U.S. gallons) pumped out of hydraulic tank to get it down to the correct level.

Now whooda thunkitt that ANYBODY who has been around these machines for any length of time would connect a return fuel line to a hydraulic tank???????????????????????? Certainly not this little black duck.

What amazes me as well is just how much fuel must go through that little return line to put around 45 (U.S.) gallons in the WRONG tank in just 9 self-loaded loads onna 300 yard haul 'cos that tank was FULL when the boys took the lid off this morning.

Just my 0.02.
    Deas, this may help identify and confirm the position of fuel lines.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default See Post #3

Hi Deas,
    thanks for the update.
    It is good to know some of my marbles are still rolling, albeit a bit slower these days.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, Ray54.
    it seems to me that you ALLEGED 'topsiders' have more problems with the concept of 'DowNunda' than us DowNunda residents do. Why might that be?

A kew-ree-yuss mind would like to know.

Just my 0.02.

I am easily confused and after the front or rear confusion I did play on the up down part. If I crossed a line there I apologize. I was not trying make a put down about which way is up.It stood to reason someone before you had also been confused and done something wrong,so again they didn't know up from down.

I have great respect for you as a operator, and was hoping it would be a common sense thing to find the problem. Which it turned out to be. But some time even the very simple is hard because it is put in a place many of us cannot get are eyes or hands on it.

Default Common sense???????????????

Hi, Ray54.
    No worries, M8. All good here. Thank you for your kind comments about my 'toy handling'.

The biggest problem I had with the whole issue was 'ackshully' believing that someone could be so 'misguided' as to connect a fuel return line to a hydraulic tank. The mind boggles.

But, c'est la vie.

Just my 0.02.

Deas Plant.

Default Sprocket 71

Sorry
    to take so long to join the thread 637D. I was a dealer field tech. I was lead maintenance man for the Miramar landfill city of San Diego. Hawthorne machine provided leased equipment with full support. I pulled sticks and checked finals tire tread etc, every morning. Unless your scraper has been modified there is only one fuel tank that is part of the scraper bowl in front of the rear engine. As I recall the fuel lines for the front engine run up the right draft arms under guards with the ejector lines. The 637D has a fixed floor and utilizes an ejector wall like it's bid buddy the 657B,E,G. The fuel lines travel up over the draft tube and over the goose neck. There are joints on the draft tube. On the hoist cylinders are two valves called sequence valves. they have two small vent lines that determine whether the can is lowered or quick dropped. The hoses go to the main control spool [ top]. They are vents not pressure. If they are reversed on the valve the can has a slow drift down and no quick drop. they are about the same size as the fuel return line. as they are vent lines they would not transfer hydraulic oil to the main fuel tank. some scrapers were shipped with a small ' day' tank mounted on the front of the hydraulic tank. I racked my brain on this. [I retired 5 years ago.] hooking a sequence line to the return line is the only simple explanation I have. The fuel tank is 370 gallons 657"s have the same setup except the fuel lines run through the left side of the can and the ejector lines run through both interior side of the cans. The transmissions are electronically controlled. The rear throttle is air controlled. The front engine is a 3408 with sleeve metering. The transfer pump mounts on the back of the injection pump. The rear engine is a 3306 with sleeve metering. The transfer pump is on the front of the injection pump, a small aluminum gear pump that requires the removal of the injection pump to replace. pain to change. be sure to prime the fuel system before trying to start the engine after service. fuel is only lube. I give the latter info to eliminate any thought of fuel transfer from a transfer pump. all the hydraulic pumps are mounted on and are driven by the transmission transfer gears. That is my.02