Thread: D69u starting motor

Default D69u starting motor

D6 9u electric start for pony motor shown in photo. Starter suddenly stopped working. I cleaned all wiring attachments. Still doesn't work. However, by accident I learned that placing a wrench between the post on the solenoid (blue wire attachment) and the nut on top of and at the rear of the starter makes it crank right over, starting the pony motor. And then everything works normally. So I thought that I need to replace the solenoid (which essentially got bypassed). Looked in Cat parts manual and could not find this part. So please help with 2 questions: (1) is it smart to assume that the solenoid is the problem; (2) what is the solenoid part number so I can order it from Cat?

Thanks, Don

PS I love operating my 9U. Great tractor for small farm.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Pony Motor Solenoid

Hi Don,
    electric start is shown in the Attachment Section of your Parts Book--it is not a standard fitment.
    P/No is :- 6F5896 Switch (magnetic)

The U D6 is a sweet running machine.
    It is also the first one I worked on fully as an Apprentice and the bonus was that we did a full rebuild from end to end.

We took it up the recently purchased farm property in Nantilla Road Clayton Vic. that later had our new Dealership Premises built on it in the early 1960's.
    So to me it was very special, not only for the rebuild, but it was the first machine I got to Move Dirt in anger with as we gave it a work test before handing back to the Client.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Don, also check by crossing from the blue supply wire to the solenoid control wire - the small one on top of the solenoid - to confirm that it's the solenoid and not a problem with the switch circuit - it might save you needing to buy a new solenoid
    Cheers,
    Neil.

That looks like a early Ford style solenoid. 50s or 60s. If my memory is correct any solenoid like that with the main lugs on either side and the small control wire should work. It can be mounted anywhere. Just replace the spade connection with a cable of the proper length.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Don, also check by crossing from the blue supply wire to the solenoid control wire - the small one on top of the solenoid - to confirm that it's the solenoid and not a problem with the switch circuit - it might save you needing to buy a new solenoid
    Neil,

I think that is what he is doing by jumping using a wrench. Looks to me like the switch is bad or wire broken so the circuit is not sending power to that top lug.

Don- run a wire from the battery to that top lug for a test. It should energize the solenoid.

JanM

My read of what he wrote is from the battery input to the starter motor input (on top and at rear of the starter), but in any case, shorting from the battery input to the solenoid input will tell him whether the solenoid works.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My 2 cents--since the blue wire on the solenoid is proven to be hot already he can run a hot wire either from the battery or the blue wire to the solenoid input lug to see if its working--however a bad contact of the blue wire to the solenoid or the spade connection to the solenoid should be checked
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U