Thread: OT Setting up flat deck trailer.

Question OT Setting up flat deck trailer.

I recently found a nice 2012 Cam Tilt deck trailer 16k gvw. tag trailer. This is in my tractor weight zone a size for the pickup. Did the tandem axle big truck and gooseneck trailer thing years ago. Trying to keep things manageable in old age. How would any of you set the front and rear height when on the truck? I have a Ford 6.7 F350 I have the front height of the trailer at 19 in and the rear at 15.5 ,measured at the same level plane on the trailer. Where should the numbers be? Should this be measured with a load? Is this personal preference or is there some guideline for deck level/clearance?

Thanks
    Herb
    USA M2 5E3562SP

From my perspective, the level of the trailer is not so important as much as the trailer axles share the load, and you're able to park your equipment on it such that you have optimal distribution between the pickup and the trailer. My F-350 is an FX-4 so it's a bit higher positioned which means when I borrow Tim's trailer from time to time, I extend the gooseneck pole 4" so I have adequate clearance between the truck sides/tailgate when pulling out of the driveway. That leads to about an 8" difference between the front and rear of the 24' deck. I can park the D2 centered over the trailer's front axle which distributes the weight nicely between the truck and trailer. The D2 doesn't roll when parked there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Yeah thanks Neil. I have more info My truck is also an FX4 single wheel with 12500 GVW I'll have to get axle weights in the morning. Say if I put a Thirty on the trailer 10000 # plus trailer 3450# 13450 total put 90% on the trailer and 10% on the truck Should be close. Putting 1345# on the truck and 12105# on the trailer.
    Herb
    USA M2 5E3562SP

as long as when your hitched up and the trailer is loaded you have the more than the minimum ground clearance as required by your highways dept and you dont bottom out on driveways etc you'll be fine.(remember to have your weight throwing forward so the tail doesn't wag the dog. they say 60 to 70 percent of the weight should be forward just don't exceed the static ball load of your vehicle or its towbar use the lesser figure).

another point to remember is the kerb (tare) wieghts stamped on compliance plates and in the owners book for a lot of vehicles is only with 10litres of fuel in the tank and doesnt include the spare tyre or the factory tool kit why isn't the spare counted cause you don't have to have a spare but it must be road legal if fitted

every thing you add such driving lights, bull bar, tow bar, tools, a full tank of fuel, your self etc is all considered payload and you have to include that in your GVM and GCVM calculations. many people have been cuaght out for overloading because they didn't realise this.

Herb, is the new trailer a gooseneck or bumper pull? If the former, you might have up to 5k or more vertical capacity on the gooseneck ball (check your installation manual) which might let you apply more load to the truck since 1k out of 13k seems a bit light on the truck.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I looked around to find one place finally that said you should put 20-25% on the truck. The Cam is a bumper pull. I'll just have to do like I did yeeears ago, and hook up and go to the truck scales nearby, axle everything Also depends on how the trailer manf. calculates the GVW. I go by what the tires are rated for, this what MA DOT looks at plus a bunch more.

If take trailer tire rating and subtract trailer weight I get 10550 Which is just right to haul a Cat 30. Everything at present is weighing less. R2,22,D2. Now just find placement for each tractor and how much on the truck.

Thanks
    Herb
    USA M2 5E3562SP