Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D6 9U22898 Trying to find info

Default D6 9U22898 Trying to find info

My father in law passed away last year and Iím currently working on getting this machine running again (should be running and operational within a week or two). I have been unsuccessful trying to determine what year this machine is. Closest I can guess is 1956-1957. I will be selling for my mother in law and need to try and do the best I can for her. Iím seeing values between $1500-$15000 and have no idea where to start for fair market value.
    44594386-2C0D-423E-AE27-A7256C54D637.jpg44594386-2C0D-423E-AE27-A7256C54D637.jpg
    I appreciate any insight and help anyone here can provide.C5290636-53A0-4A27-857C-9DDBD6B31767.jpgD4010555-3A0C-400A-8843-B1DDD6DE84D2.jpg

Thanks,
    Pat
    Last edited by Ptoneil; 09-08-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Default D6 9u 22898

The D6 is a 1956 year. Numbers are 21301 to 24049 so that would be pretty close to mid year. catskinner

You have found the value range. The first 3 pictures with the numbers are the important ones,casting numbers don't tell much and don't match parts numbers very often.

The value of "vintage" machines was debated here a few weeks ago. Seems the prices is not going up,but it depends on location. I got beat on good on another forum for saying $4000 was high for a was running dozer that went swimming in the lake and did not run now. Pictures here are always appreciated and may get you more comments.

But starting without trouble and driving onto a truck is worth 1000 or 2 over scrap price. But if there is not much interest in your local area that may be hard to get without time.

As stated pics of the dozer would be great when you get the chance. Undercarriage condition plays a big role in pricing a machine. A U/C ain't cheap to do on any machine. A running and operating unrestored 8U/9U generally goes for 3000-6000 in my area, not terribly far from you. A parts or non-running machine could be had for 700-1500. Even at their age they are very common dozers.

After settling on a number, don't forget to post it in the for sale section of the BB. Might just find a home on here!
    Austin Primus

1956 D6 8U

12 9K

Quote Originally Posted by acprimus View Post
    As stated pics of the dozer would be great when you get the chance. Undercarriage condition plays a big role in pricing a machine. A U/C ain't cheap to do on any machine. A running and operating unrestored 8U/9U generally goes for 3000-6000 in my area, not terribly far from you. A parts or non-running machine could be had for 700-1500. Even at their age they are very common dozers.

After settling on a number, don't forget to post it in the for sale section of the BB. Might just find a home on here!
    Thanks for the input. Hopefully it will be running and operating this Sunday. Iíll grab some more pics to share.

Default Pony motor running good now

We got the pony motor running today. Then realized we didnít have two key pieces of information - how to engage and start the diesel engine and how to shut it off if it did start. .

Hopefully the pics post. The first shows the pony motor area with what I think are the three key levers. I think the first horizontal lever floats the valves so the diesel can spin up and build oil pressure. I think lever 2 engages the pony to the diesel but I donít know what lever three does. It has linkage that runs toward the back but I donít know to what.

Also attached are other pics. I donít know exactly what to show to indicate the undercarriage condition. 00CD9D10-E1BF-4DD3-8B9B-8E3E888268D3.jpgA8F0B09E-A715-4C9E-B69F-DC7059B84EAD.jpgC34C967A-CA95-4292-A083-08048287C1A6.jpg780B1C6D-2A31-4DB9-82A5-F838447986B1.jpgD2EC2A93-36EB-40CB-9A98-210E5EA7EF6E.jpg2C442D18-F628-4E07-B678-FC95BB9FC432.jpg

lever i is the diesel engine decompression lever
    lever 2 is the pinion clutch lever--forward engages it to spin the pinion and spin the diesel, to the rear brakes the pinion to stop it from spinning so you can engage it to the flywheel without grinding
    lever 3 actually pulls the pinion gear in to engage the flywheel, it will auto disengage when the diesel starts
    sprockets are a bit worn but will last a while-
    the grousers are worn down
    but easy fix to weld on new grouser plates
    the idler appears to be a bit forward from adjusting slack out of the tracks--a symton of worn pins and bushings--check them to see if they have worn thru

whereabouts upstate NY??
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

Quote Originally Posted by dpendzic View Post
    lever i is the diesel engine decompression lever
    lever 2 is the pinion clutch lever--forward engages it to spin the pinion and spin the diesel, to the rear brakes the pinion to stop it from spinning so you can engage it to the flywheel without grinding
    lever 3 actually pulls the pinion gear in to engage the flywheel, it will auto disengage when the diesel starts
    sprockets are a bit worn but will last a while-
    the grousers are worn down
    but easy fix to weld on new grouser plates
    the idler appears to be a bit forward from adjusting slack out of the tracks--a symton of worn pins and bushings--check them to see if they have worn thru

whereabouts upstate NY??
    Weíre about an hour west of Albany, near Canajoharie.

Thanks for confirmation on lever operation. Hopefully I can get back over there one night after work this week and try to spin the diesel.

i am an hour east of albany

to start diesel
    shut off throttle completely
    pull decompression lever
    start pony
    engage pony and spin diesel
    check oil pressure on diesel
    close decompression lever
    let run a few minutes to warm up diesel intake manifold
    open diesel throttle
    shut pony off by turning off gas valve and let run out of gas
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

To shut off the diesel engine just throttle the engine all the way down. You'll feel a spot where the lever stops, push it past that and it should shut off. Before you start it again don't forget to throttle it back up past the stop or else you're not going to anywhere.

I should add make sure the pony gas shutoff valve is in working order before starting. I was just working on a grader a couple weeks ago and had to take the valve apart to get it to open or close.

As for a value, I would put that in the 3500 range as long as it runs. Of course, I say keep it, but I like a good D6.
    Austin Primus

1956 D6 8U

12 9K