Thread: What Model / Year Is This?

Default What Model / Year Is This?

Hi all,

I have come across an old CAT with a cable controlled blade abandoned in the bush. It is a diesel with 4 injectors. It looks like it had a pony motor, but it's not on there now. Please see photo attached.

I could not find anything that looked like a Serial Number on the engine, but found the number "3T790SP" on the back-top-left, beside the cable control unit. Would that be the Serial Number and if so, can anyone tell me what model this machine is and what year?

I know you can't tell much from that one photo, but any other information you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, PAT.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yes that's the number you need it's a D7 3T. I bet it be a war machine.

That's a 1945 production model.

Thanks to both of you.

Can you tell me, can you get electronic PDF versions of the parts manuals for these old machines? It would be interesting to work out what's missing, but I wouldn't want to spend too much on a hardcopy for a machine that I don't own.

G'Day pat.
    What part of Qld is this machine??
    Is it for sale??

Default D7 3t

That is a early 1945. ( SP ) stands for Special Parts. catskinner

Thanks catskinner.
    Hi Andrew. The machine is located in central Qld. I'm interested in having a go at getting it going myself. I'm fairly confident I can identify the owner of the land it's on, if he/she would be happy for me to move it. It's visible from a highway and I've been driving past it for ten years now, and it looked just like it does now when I first saw it. Friends tell me it's been there for 20 years or more and no-one has moved it yet. It has problems that I haven't mentioned yet, it appears to have broken down where it is and was never repaired. The restoration will be a big job and may well be beyond me, but I would at least like to truck it out of the bush and get it somewhere where it can be worked on.

Good luck in acquiring this machine.
    A lot of gear sits around for years without care . The when someone takes an interest suddenly becomes very valuable.

Yes Andrew I agree.
    Back in the 1980s in South Aus. I saw a 1928 2 Ton near a farmers driveway beside the road. I kept an eye on it for nearly three years before going up to ask him about it. I didn't have much money at the time but I offered him $500. He said it was worth more than that just for the comments it generated when new people came up his driveway.
    Funny story about that. The farmer's driveway had a S-bend in it just before the gate out to the road, and the crawler was in that little pocket of (now) large trees inside the S curve closest to the road. Apparently back in the 1950s the driveway used to be straight, but the farmer at the time was driving the crawler out to the road when the engine seized, so he just left it there. That caused a bit of a bottleneck at the end of his driveway so he just moved his front gate along the fence-line about 5-10mtrs, hence the S-bend. When I saw it, so many trees had grown up around it that you would need to turn it through 90deg and weave it between large tree trunks to get it out.