Thread: 3304 will not idle

Default 3304 will not idle

Hello All
    The engine for my 955K finally arrived from the US. I started it up on the weekend but could not get it idle. I can set it to any rev in the higher range but as soon as I start to lower the revs to an idle the revs keep dropping until it stops. I assume there is something wrong in the governor but any idea where I should look? The revs are stable when set to a higher setting ie not hunting. The engine used to have a PTO drive on it but I don't know what it was running. I assume it would have done very little idling. On a plus though it ran with no smoke even though it has been sitting for a long time.

Regards

Phil
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 955K Tracked Loader, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator

We used to run a bunch of those 3304's in 950 wheel loaders. Some of them had a real small primary fuel filter screen before the spin on filter. I've seen those plug and cause that problem. it was in a little plastic housing.

Is the low idle setting in a normal range to stop the rack at some possible rpm where the engine can stay running?
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Hello Dead axle
    I will see if I can find that filter on my engine but I think the fuel line goes direct from the fuel transfer pump to the spin-on filter.

3304.jpg
    Hello ccjersey
    The throttle is shown above and it can be set to any position from flat out to way past shut down position. The handle can be pulled up to move over a toothed arch and locked into any position of about 50 or 60 or if you pull the handle out and turn it around it allows you to lock it into three positions and then use the threaded knobs with the spring below left of the handle for fine adjustment. Is there a setting in the governor for idle?

Regards

Phil

Default Low Idle Adjustment Screw

Hi PhilC,
    your engine has what Cat call a New Scroll Injection Pump.
    With the Governor control you have I assume the L/I function is set by engaging one of the Gov control detent grooves---the L/I screw on the rear face of the Gov Hsg. will likely be screwed out a long way--some engine applications do not allow for a L/I condition to exist--eg. Gen set.

The actual L/I screw position is on the rear face of the Governor housing towards the outside of the face below centre line of the Gov. control--see scan below.

I do not have Rack setting specs for these late model machines.
    Hope someone else can help out, but I guess somewhere around 650 Rpm should get you a start point--I often found we had to adjust the L/I up a bit more than spec for some applications to stop the exhaust pipes etc vibrating--adjust as needed to get smooth running.

You may need to check with the Dealer to see if your engine Arrangement Number has the required extra oil pump scavenge pick up section gears and pickup tube and screen--if indeed it is even needed in your 955 application.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seems you have an Industrial Engine??? What's the s/n and arrangement number?

Thanks Eddie. I had a look at the L/I screw and at first I thought it was not wound out very far at all until I saw a similar adjustment screw behind it which I assume is maximum revs. The next time I start it I will adjust the screw and see if it makes a difference.

OM, Engine number is 83Z0704 and the arrangement number is 1W-3879. It is not a Genset engine. As mentioned before it had a PTO made by Twin Disk Incorporated on it but I don't know what it was driving. From what I have seen in the parts books the oil pump configuration in this engine is the same as in the 955's original motor albeit with different parts numbers. At least the oil pump drawings are the same.
    D6-5R, D6-4R, D8 15A x 3, 955K Tracked Loader, 944A Wheel Loader, 305CE Excavator, XQE20 Generator

83Zxxxx is a Generator Set engine, 1980's vintage. I believe you are correct, no difference in the oil pump arrangements. Too new for my archives
    Last edited by Old Magnet; 01-15-2020 at 05:55 PM.