Thread: D6 9U Track adjuster nut question.

Default D6 9U Track adjuster nut question.

Hi Everyone,

I will make a long story short. I was plowing heavy snow and the right side track went loose. I looked at the front idler and it had moved back towards the sprocket. I am not sure but I think I may have gotten to much snow and ice packed in the track and pushed the threaded adjusting rod that goes to the idler through the adjusting nut.

I used my D4 to pull the idler forward again but as soon as I moved the D6 the front Idler moved towards the sprocket and the track went slack again. Does it seem possible to shove the threaded track adjusting bolt through the adjusting nut? If so it looks as if I may be able to remove the adjusting bolt and housing /nut assembly as one unit in the CAT service man's repair manual. Has any one done this before? Do I have to be concerned about the main track spring flying out if I remove the other parts? I want to do this job safely for sure.

Any tips?

Thanks.

that happened on my D2--the nut and rod deteriorated so bad that the rod slid thru--as a temporary fix i pulled the idler forward to tighten the track and u-bolted two pipe sleeves halves onto the rod to keep the idler out---if i remember right the spring stayed put as it was held in by the front spring stops
    Cat 941B, Cat D2 4U, Cat D3B, Cat D4 7U, Cat D6 9U

this may be a good time to install a set of Hydra Justers???
    D4 6U,1943 D4 2T,Laplant Choate C41 Carrimor Scraper

Yours is already backed off so you donít have to do that!

At this point itís just a matter of unbolting the ďnutĒ and adjuster along with the guide the adjuster runs through and replacing with new. The snow can pack in and increase the track tension dramatically as you know, so I bet that just finished yours off. The recoil spring should be held to a set length by the internal bolt. Only danger is if that bolt were to let go while you were working on it. When itís all together and the spring bolt breaks, it just overtensions the track and you can adjust the adjuster in to release the tension and disassemble it to replace the spring bolt and return it to the specified length before reassembling everything. Without the adjuster in place if the spring lets go, it will maim or kill so treat it with respect.

Last adjuster I bought was about $100, aftermarket of course. I had a used ďnutĒ so I didnít buy one of those. Should still have some more if for some reason you canít get one. Mine stripped out after I cut a link out of the very worn tracks and had to screw the worn exposed threads back into the nut to pull the idler back and reconnect them. It didnít look good and it didnít last long after I returned it to service.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Thanks to every one for the help and suggestions.
    That big track spring concerns me as I don't know the condition of the spring tension bolt. Is there a good way to lock it down before I have the track tension assembly removed?

With access to a welder you can weld stops to the track frame to limit how far forward the spring can move if it were to break. Never done that to make that repair but I have done it to restrain a spring with an already broken bolt that was over tensioning the track.
    Or alternatively, bars can be welded from the end plates of the spring to restrain it.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time