Thread: Cat 3204 on 943 19z engine having problems FIRE

Default Cat 3204 on 943 19z engine having problems FIRE

Hello to all .
    I have a 943 charger.
    The engine has serious problems. Difficulty turning on.
    Smoke comes out of the oil vent.
    No water in the oil. And not oil in the radiator.
    There appears to be no more compression in some cylinders.
    Maybe the piston rings?
    A lot of fire and a lot of smoke comes out of the 2 and 3 exhausts.
    What could I check before taking the head apart.
    I attach video.
    Thanks so much

Bad fuel nozzles and hole burnt through piston.

Pull injectors and have them checked
    Adjust valves

Youíre probably going to need an engine overhaul though. 3204 is not one of the longest lived engines made.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

I would check the injection timing, could be late.

Hello, makes noise and a lot of smoke at a minimum. when the engine is at maximum the smoke decreases.
    Can I possibly replace the pistons and cylinders without removing the engine?
    Ths

3204 doesnít have cylinder sleeves unless itís been bored out and dry sleeves installed in a machine shop during a previous overhaul.

It also doesnít have side covers on the block like some of the older or larger Caterpillar engines have, so you have to drop oil pan and do everything from the bottom. Not sure what a 943 charger is, but if you are willing, thereís usually a way! Problem is your cylinders probably will need boring to an oversize and install pistons and rings to match if you want your repairs to last. This is done in machine shop, so engine out for that and do the assembly on an engine stand where you can stand up and work on it.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Quote Originally Posted by ccjersey View Post
    3204 doesnít have cylinder sleeves unless itís been bored out and dry sleeves installed in a machine shop during a previous overhaul.

It also doesnít have side covers on the block like some of the older or larger Caterpillar engines have, so you have to drop oil pan and do everything from the bottom. Not sure what a 943 charger is, but if you are willing, thereís usually a way! Problem is your cylinders probably will need boring to an oversize and install pistons and rings to match if you want your repairs to last. This is done in machine shop, so engine out for that and do the assembly on an engine stand where you can stand up and work on it.
    Hello .
    I disassembled the head.
    The seal was melted between pistons 2 and 3.
    Pistons 2 and 3 have a melting angle, I think they need to be changed.
    On cylinder number 3 the triangle (about 3mm) lost by the piston has melted in the cylinder itself.
    For sure the bands are very damaged
    That's why all that smoke from the oil drain.
    Precautions to replace pistons?
    Thanks so much
    Simo

I knew it, I just knew it, woof woof, woof woof"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Either send the block to a shop to be bored for oversize pistons or AT LEAST....remove the ridge at the top of the cylinders and then hone them to allow the new rings to seat properly.

Failure to ream the cylinders to remove the ridge usually results in damage to the piston and new top ring when it contacts the ridge that has been left by the worn rings. Reaming the ridge also helps get the old pistons out without damage but it sounds like you need new ones anyway.

Replacement of ALL bearings on the crankshaft is probably a good idea. Or check clearances carefully and only reuse if the clearance is within the Caterpillar recommended range. I personally would not reuse a connecting rod bearing unless it was nearly new and showing minimal wear

Head should be resurfaced and checked for cracks as part of the reconditioning process and valve grind.

The most likely cause of the burned pistons is bad injectors, so do not fail to have them checked for proper spray pattern and pressure setting.
    Last edited by ccjersey; Yesterday at 03:19 PM.