Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corrosion in fuel filter tower???

Default Corrosion in fuel filter tower???

I changed the fuel filters on my D4 6U today and the plate that the elements go up against has corrosion at each of the areas that the elements go up against. It is not deep but it surprised me. What would have caused this and is it any sort of problem? Thanks ahead of time. Grant.

Condensation, if it sat a long time and fuel level dropped or some water mixed with the fuel. Cat still sells those........only $425.01 ea. There should be plenty of good used ones out there. Check with Florin Tractor.
    Last edited by Rome K/G; 01-19-2020 at 08:33 PM.

I put it back together with new elements and I dont think it is bad enough to worry about replacing it, especially at $425. I have a couple of earlier D4 parts machines on the ranch so I may inspect their tower parts and keep them as spares if they are the same. The filters I removed were pretty nasty but the tower was not too bad and the fuel that I drained was dark but not clumpy or congealed. It makes me wonder how long it sat before I bought it. Of course the family said "It ran when parked" and it was only 3 years sitting but neighbors later told me it was probably much longer. I think I may put an inline filter between the tank and the engine because when it gets going and sloshing around, who knows what will break loose. Just another project. Thanks Grant.

Good idea Grant, hope she runs better.

Just double checking, the aluminum plate ? Besides the corrosion be careful, I found one cracked and sucking in air. I was just helping a beginner to old Cats,and no history of what all had been done. But my guess is over tightening because of bad gasket.

Would the dissimilar metals play a part in the corrosion of the aluminum?

I am pretty sure the plate is not cracked and the corrosion was where the filter element was up against the plate so it was fabric to metal, not metal to metal. I am not clear on the fuel flow in the filter and am wondering if the top of the element is where water would be filtered out and maybe sit? I think I will be OK with the present plate but I am going to change the tank valves and put some type of inline filter in. Hopefully from then on there will be only clean fuel in the tower. Grant.

Default Fuel Storage Problems

Long term "storage" of diesel fuel can lead to corrosion problems. Like Rome pointed out you probably had some condensate in the top of the tower and that mixes with the sulfur in the fuel and makes corrosive hydrogen sulfide. Water of course will ultimately settle to the bottom but in the meantime the changing of temperatures daily often means minute fuel level changes in an enclosed system. Years back Cat advocated high sulfur diesel fuel for better lubricity but the clean air gods took all the sulfur out of the fuel.
    D4Jim
    D47U (1950), 3U 112 Grader (1949), Cat 40 Scraper ACMOC Member 20 years

Yes, sitting is bad for Cats and people. I dont know how old the fuel in the tank is , and I may drain the whole thing and run it thru a filter before using it. I am looking to see where a spin-on fuel filter would fit on the machine and not be in an awkward spot. Has anyone done that??? Grant.

As expensive as the standard sock filters have become I wonder if we might be better off adapting a single pleated paper cartridge filter to hang from that plate. The next series newer engines use a cartridge filter in a canister.

In either case fuel flows from bottom/outside of the filters into center and up through the filter plate around the square plastic hanger rods to get into the top space where the filtered fuel collects and then moves to the side and down through a drilled passage to meet up with the fuel gallery that runs to the rear of the tractor through the injection pump housing to feed the individual pumps.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

I agree with the price of the sock filters being high. That is why I am thinking of a spin on filter between the tank and the tower. I suspect that changing the spin-on every year for about $15 would mean that you would probably never have to change the socks in the tower again. I used to work on boats and typically we had a factory filter on the motor and a large filter between the tank and the motor. Might go many changes on the spin-on without needing to change the engine filter. Finding a good place to mount one on my D4 is the question. I wonder if any members have done it? Grant.