Thread: Stuck steering D4 7U36219

Default Stuck steering D4 7U36219

Hi all, new to the club and CAT ownership. I have been restoring cars and one 1950 JD M, but never a CAT. A friend died recently and his wife GAVE me his old D4. It has been sitting many years, likely 20+ since it ran. He was having steering issues when it was parked, but now the levers are stuck in the forward position and I cannot see what is wrong. I have the fenders, seats, floors, and dash removed. The workshop manual says to loosen the toggles (I don't remember the term) but I loosened the thing all up and it will not swivel around. What will I need to do to remove the cover off the transmission and steering clutches. I can handle the stuck engine, but I am out of my element with this. I don't want to tear up something that isn't broken, but will do what I need. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you! Elton

Remove the transmission dipstick tube, when you get the whole case lifted about six to eight inches you'll have to remove the steering clutch release bearing grease hoses from the cover. Double check each corner and craves around the case for that hidden bolt. Oh! and welcome! youll get all the typed help you can get here,lol Check ebay for service and maintenance manuals, they give allot of help also.

Ok, I noticed you did have a manual, the threaded steering clutch adjustment arms will clear when you lift the cover. If your not sure yet send us photos for help, a picture can explain a shload of things. Gary