Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty wonít go in gear

Default Twenty wonít go in gear

Asking for a neighbor/friend: he recently purchased a nice little 20, got her running, but canít get it in gear.
    Any suggestions? Not sure if he has a stuck clutch or what. Do these little crawlers have an interlock? Any good advice would be appreciated.
    TIA, JM.

Default Interlock

I'm supposing he can't get the shift lever to move out of neutral.

On the Little Twenty the shift lever has to be pushed over to the 'side' of the gear he wants to go into. If reverse is desired push the lever over to the left (against spring pressure) then into reverse. If into first or third push to right then into gear. Same to get it out of gear.

Daron

Hi Daron: Iím not quite sure what the situation is. Sounds like he tries to disengage the clutch and put into a gear, and only grinds badly. Iíll swing by and see for myself what is/isnít happening. Iím not remotely familiar with these gassers, didnít know if there were any hidden zeros he could pump some lube into, possibly freeing something up. Tractor was supposed to have been restored; been sitting for many years, he did get it running, so he is off to somewhat a good start.
    Thanks. JM

Default Twenty won't shift

The small gas tractors have bad habit of clutch not releasing, the shaft inside the disk gets a ridge on it and the disk hangs up , won't slide away from flywheel and thus can't get in gear, have to split tractor and clean up the splines with a file or die grinder and then reassemble.

JM,

Mine got so bad I could not get clutch engaged either so as Hi-wide 15 said, I split the tractor. I don't remember filing the splines but probably did that. I do remember rebuilding the clutch brake which was totally worn out. Splitting the tractor is straight forward if you follow the steps in the Repair Manual. PITA though!

JanM

Deleted as it was advice for small 20
    Last edited by MARCOTEN; 02-19-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Confused Lube???

Is there anyway a person could squirt some loose juice in there? Seems like everyone has their fave flavor of penetrant...I would think just a little would help immensely.
    I donít think my buddy is gonna be too happy. This tractor was supposed to be restored awhile back, and had been sitting since his bud had passed. I think Iím going over there to help him crank on it, as he wore his shoulder out getting it running last week.
    Iím sure he can split the tractor, that is, after he finishes a half dozen or so other projects in the works.
    Next step might be a set of rubber pads to parade around on.
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MARCOTEN View Post
    The clutch pedal has a bolt and retaining nut underneat it so you could turn bolt out a bit and see if clutch does its work, relock with nut offcourse.
    And clutch brake should be working correct to shift these strait gears. Tru the top little squar inspection cover you can acces the clutch brake , and take 2 bolts, (one on either side of shaft) and slide clutch brake a little forward and reline bolt holes with an other set.and put them back in. Adjust never less then 1/16" clearance with clutch engaged.
    Ooh thanks MARCOTEN! That helps me visualize from here what he needs.
    lol

Cool

If it was restored more than a couple of years ago, assume 3 things:

1. The Pilot Bearing/Shaft has been greased twice in its lifetime.
    2. The Clutch Brake has been re-conditioned.
    3. Rust has caused the Clutch Plate to stick to the Flywheel.

In my opinion - No. 3 is the Root of his problem!

Solution - Rock it into gear, Put an Operator in the seat, have them hold the Steering Clutches back/dis-engaged, Start the Engine, Get out of the way, Let operator head out into the field to ride the clutch and brakes until the disk unsticks from the Pressure Plate and Flywheel.

If this is successful which it probably will be, then breathe a sigh of relief on not having to tear into it!

Default Yup, the plan!

Thatís basically what I had in mind. Issue is, it takes two people, I want to help him get it started, then shut down; have him sit in seat in gear with steering clutches held back, Iíll crank it over and hopefully it starts. He can then release the levers and go forward, and lightly jerk along with the brakes. He canít really go backward, as he is next to his gate. Either that, or I take an RC60 forklift over there and push him around his neighbors field. Space limited.
    I wonder if the original owner really restored it in full form, or?
    Iíve only seen this thing once in person, and briefly at that.
    Thanks for your advice.