Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twenty wonít go in gear

Nr 1 open inspection cover and look inside with light.
    2 buy operator and service manual for L&PL 20.
    Lol
    Last edited by MARCOTEN; 02-19-2020 at 03:38 PM.

JM,

I am not sure everyone is on the same page here. If this is the same TWENTY that you posted here-

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.p...r-for-a-Twenty

then you are asking about a BIG TWENTY. If so, a big TWENTY has a clutch handle not a clutch pedal. You might have taken us down the proverbial "garden path" when you said he found a nice "little" Twenty. There were two models, the L or PL series BIG Twenty and the 8C series Small Twenty.

Hang on and we will get you educated on the little gas burners!

JanM

Quote Originally Posted by juiceman View Post
    ......I want to help him get it started, then shut down; have him sit in seat in gear with steering clutches held back, Iíll crank it over and hopefully it starts.....
    Juiceman, are you sure that the steering clutches release properly? I can almost guarantee that if it's in gear when you crank it, it will start before you expect it. (This is coming from one who knows!) How agile are you?

Be careful.
    Pete

1936 Cat 22 2F6559W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6499W
    1936 Cat 22 2F6223W
    1937 Cat 22 1J2921W
    1944 JD Lindeman
    1950 Farmall Cub

Itís an L691. I only glanced at it. We were on a mission to ďlookĒ at LeTourneau scraper.
    I should just bring a forklift over to push it around. Come to think of it, Iím not too sure if steering is 100 percent LOL. No longer agile, between older age and too much home style cooking, I donít move around like I used to. Iím close by and he could use the assistance, so Iíll do my part. He might even renew his membership if this toy gets operational. He wants to bring it to shows and parades so others may enjoy it as well.
    Appreciate all the good advice so far.

Jan Meermans you are right!! I see in your link on the other post it is a big 20, so my advice in the previouse post is not accurate as i assumed it is a small 20 as he wrote about a little 20.
    So forget about adjusting bolt on clutch pedal, your one has an handlever operated overcentre clutch.
    And service book should be for the L & PL 20
    If you will start it in gear, with someone in seat, put it in reverse so tractor will move away from crankstarting person, and make sure the kill switch of magneto is working so in case of emergency you can stop it direct.
    Better pull the machine with something, and disengage clutch and hope it will brake free.
    Last edited by MARCOTEN; 02-19-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Cool Did the ACMOC deed

Okay, so I got my own D2 running and felt guilty, so I went over to help...
    He/me/we got it running, then experimented; tractor steers and brakes very well, clutch engages with a distinct snap, etc., but cannot shift without a lot of grinding.
    He does have books for it, but I didnít read anything regarding clutch brake, only clutch adjustment.
    Parts book doesnít appear to show anything that resembles a clutch brake...
    His main concern was he didnít have a functioning clutch period.
    He wanted to loosen the main clutch, but I suggested he start again and run it around his yard to maybe clean his clutch surfaces a bit? He did spray some Kroil penetrant down the cover hole.
    I pushed forward on the lever while he tried to shift into a gear while engine running; no luck.
    Any other suggestions?
    For the time being, I think he is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by juiceman View Post
    Okay, so I got my own D2 running and felt guilty, so I went over to help...
    He/me/we got it running, then experimented; tractor steers and brakes very well, clutch engages with a distinct snap, etc., but cannot shift without a lot of grinding.
    He does have books for it, but I didnít read anything regarding clutch brake, only clutch adjustment.
    Parts book doesnít appear to show anything that resembles a clutch brake...
    His main concern was he didnít have a functioning clutch period.
    He wanted to loosen the main clutch, but I suggested he start again and run it around his yard to maybe clean his clutch surfaces a bit? He did spray some Kroil penetrant down the cover hole.
    I pushed forward on the lever while he tried to shift into a gear while engine running; no luck.
    Any other suggestions?
    For the time being, I think he is happy.
    Now that you got it semi working, work it for a while and slip that clutch a bit to get the rust and crap worn out of it. It probably wore the little clutch brake right out of it trying to engage it with a stuck clutch. You can normally shift them between forward and reverse if you do it quickly when stopped in any gear. Good luck.
    1937 Cat #11 tandem auto patrol,diesel, w/plow and wing, 6K506SP, 1937 RD 4 Ag Crawler RD5356, 1939 Cat 22 2F5429, 1952 Model 212 Grader 9T03427, 1953 2U D8 Dozer 2U20751, 1961 922A Rubber Tired Loader, 59A812, LeTouneau LS Cable Scraper, Cat/Lincoln 600 AMP Dual Welder, DW-21 Cat Scraper, DW-10 dump wagon/water wagon

Cool Part number?

I donít have the parts book in front of me; I did get a chance to skim thru his books, but for the life of me couldnít see or comprehend what should have been the clutch brake. If he can get the parts, Iím sure he will do a proper repair. His toy isnít very useable if he canít shift between gears or change directions. Aside from this issue, it is a very nice tractor. The engine manifold looks to have been replaced, as it looks ďtooĒ nice for the overtake of the machine. Rubber track pads may follow if the clutch issue gets corrected.
    Thank you everyone. JM

JM,

It is interesting that that tractor has the correct engine side panels with 20 and 20 on either side of the center (40 louvers). Not long after that serial number they went to 15 and 15 on either side of the center (30 total) as they could make the openings a bit larger as cooling problems developed on the early models. That is as I understand it and I stand to be corrected if that is not right. There were also latch issues as on the early models the latches hung down when loose and caught in the tracks. Not good. Those changed in the first 1,000 tractors somewhere.

Edit- After a second look, the latches have already been upgraded from the original that hung down and caught in the tracks. This latch on this tractor was again changed shortly after this serial number.

JanM

JM,

The shifter fork collar when the lever is all the way forward is pressed to the rear and engages with the clutch brake material. My Servicemen's Book says that it is not easy but possible to change the brake lining by accessing it after removing the Shifter Fork and Collar. You can split the lining material to get it in place and use #10-24 countersunk head machine screws in lieu of riveting as was the original lining. I had my tractor split so I could get at it easily and had some new brake lining in a sheet that I was able to cut out a new clutch brake face. I used the screws to fasten it in.

JanM