Thread: What year is my D6 9U crawler? Please help

Default What year is my D6 9U crawler? Please help

Hello all!

I'm new here and new to the vintage CAT family as well. This weekend my brother and I purchased a D6 9U Caterpillar and would like to know more about it. The serial number is 9U669 which seems like it would be pre 1950 from what I've gathered?? The machine starts and crawls but has a rough time making a left turn. any info would be great. Engine size (D318?)

Very early 1948.

Yes D318 engine,
    dry clutch as it came from factory though there was a kit to upgrade to oil clutch after it became standard

Check the oil in the steering booster unit under the back of the seat tank. It should work manually but no sense in ruining the pump if itís low on oil. Usually the brake has more to do with turning properly than the clutch, so you might want to start there.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Well come.

Unless pushing or pulling hard after releasing the steering clutch (pulling the lever) you need to apply brake. No connection of brake and steering clutch like newer machines. The operator get's to do more than warm the seat.

I am sure all operating information is already here somewhere. But very seldom do I find much with the search function here. Hard to know how much background you have,so excuse me if I start to basic. But better to know and not need it than the other way.

The old D6 9u's are tough old beasts,but they all ware out. But other being big chunks of pig iron are not to hard to work on. But hopefully you don't have to. But the knowledge is here so ask away.