Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9u tracks

Default 9u tracks

Have a set of caterpillar sealed track chains 6.75 pitch. I swapped them off the D6B earlier this winter for better ones. My question is do rails that measure up pretty good with 50% 24 inch pads but really worn pins and bushings have any value? I have a friend asked about one to make a fire pit but hate to do that if people are looking for tracks to keep a tractor going. I only put them back on the 9u to be able to move it around, I donít plan to ever farm with them. Thanks, Mike

I also wouldn't mind hearing some perspective on that from someone that's done it: fitting new pins and bushes to 50% rails - did it work out to be a good option vs. buying all-new rails on a cost/usable life basis.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

No one in alberta that i found will do a p and b turn for less than a new set, i got a set of 65 percent rails in the bush.

Not an answer to your question--But the fire pit sounds like a better way to go than scrapping the rails. I have seen old steel tractors rims for fire pits and thought they looked good and believe the old tracks would also.

Thanks makar, I kind of thought it might be like that. If one had his own press, it might be cost-effective I guess.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I posted a picture of a BBQ built using track shoes. Search is not something that works for me,but it's here somewhere. The BBQ works well and we have moved it several times. Not that you pick it up by hand,but movable.

Currently it seems interest in crawler tractors is waning. Not that we don't have people catching "Yellow Fever"but all "pig iron" seems hard to sell unless it is cheap.

Looked a little closer at the rails today, look to measure 3.875 inches tall yet, this was the tractor that had really worn out sprockets. I wonder if they put new chains on a tractor itís bad sprockets and that caused really accelerated pin and bushing wear. Track repair shops few and far between around here anymore and I suspect that is the case everywhere. Coincidentally when I measured the Berco tracks that I swapped out they only measure about 3.75 inches although they appear to have very little wear. I guess they will make someone a very nice heavy duty caterpillar yellow fire pit. Thanks for your thoughts, Mike

Default Dayton Tractor

Hi Mike. Have you talked to Dayton tractor? I think theyíre about the only ones around the do track work any more. They have a add in the growers guide.

BP.
    Holt 45 power unit, Two Ton, Sixty (2), Diesel 40, No.11 AutoPatrol, 4G D4, 9U D6, 17R D6C, 9G D7, 7M D7, DW20.

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Not an answer to your question--But the fire pit sounds like a better way to go than scrapping the rails. I have seen old steel tractors rims for fire pits and thought they looked good and believe the old tracks would also.

Track from my 5j

20180708_180902.jpg20180706_211155.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by d2gary View Post
    Or a sign like Kenny made.
    Attached Images Attached Images