Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Did I Buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What Did I Buy?

Howdy and thanks for adding me.
    Yesterday I picked up what I was told is a 1959 Cat No. 12 road grader. Serial # 70D2989
    What I'm here for is to hopefully get some info on it. I have found other graders with nearly the same serial number, but so far I can't find a site to tell me about mine. I would like to know the year and more importantly, what engine it has in it. The tag on the engine and the front right hand side of the grader match. It's a 6 cylinder. It has controls for a pony motor, but is now switched over to an electric starter.
    If there's anything else I need to provide to help figure this out, please feel free to say so.
    Thanks for any help.

I show itís a late 1958 manufacture but no matter. It is an oil clutch grader otherwise very similar to the others all with D318 4.5Ē bore x 5.5Ē stroke 6 cylinder diesel engines that preceded it.

The huge number of the 8T series produced before it, changed to oil clutch mid stream so to speak at serial number 8T16361 in 1955 and continued until the complete change over to the 70D (pony start) and the 71D (factor direct electric start). My info shows that the machines similar to the oil clutch 8T model 12ís but electric start from the factory were designated 80C but I donít think Iíve ever heard even one of the at least 600 made until 1957 when the 70D/71D series started.

Next series was the 99E with the new D333 (same bore x stroke) 6 cylinder but otherwise basically a very similar machine with many small incremental improvements incorporated over time.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Thank you very much Sir.
    So, without a doubt, it should be the D318 engine, correct?
    By chance do you know of a place to either get a book on that engine or a full list of fluids and amounts?
    I'm going to need a book for any engine adjustment specs.
    Thank you very much for your time.

Welcome-
    I just did a quick search for ď70DĒ and found someone posting a manual under handle ď657catĒ. Itís under for sale section. Easy way to search is look up right hand corner under advanced search. On the screen to follow toggle all the buttons and search under the user name ď657catĒ. There is also a more recent post under for sale for manuals.

Watch out-the search function can get addicting.

Have fun-
    Bernie

Look on eBay for books that cover your serial number. There should be a parts book, an operators manual and a Grader service manual specific to your serial number. The engine manual for the D318 will be appropriate for most aspects of yours, but Iím not sure if most of them address the special oil clutch components...... yes the engine pushes oil forward into the oil clutch to cool and lubricate it. Surprisingly this works well enough that it was continued at least through the 99E series

First thing to check is that there is a shear pin in place in the shear flange located behind a small cover on the vertical pedestal below the control gearbox in the cab. This shear pin is very soft and replacing it with a cap screw can result in catastrophic damage to the driveline. In general though, the old machines controls will usually whack the operator a smart lick on the hand if he tries to force a control into the end of its travel range before snapping the main drive shaft. There may be spares in a storage clip inside of or next to the cover door on the pedestal

Capacities and recommended fluids are covered in most operators manuals but Iíve never had a grader operators to refer to. Basically gearlube in everything but the engine unless it wonít stay in or thereís a grease fitting in place. Engine oil suitable for flat tappet camshafts and valve train and of a viscosity suitable to your ambient temps. I use 15W-40 but others prefer straight weight oil. I say to each his own!

Power steering or side shift option reservoir should be on front bulkhead of cab, right side I think. I use a universal tractor transmission/hydraulic fluid or you can use motor oil (another place a light oil works best and again depends on how cold youíll operate in.
    Last edited by ccjersey; 02-26-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Thank you
    I will try to find it.

Allan, Iím just about 25 miles south of you at Lame Deere. Parked at the medical center for the night. Headed to Colony WY to take a load to Oakland Ca.

Default Lean wheel angle drive box.

Hi, justallan.
    As I understand it, ccjersey is right about the oil for all the gearboxes except for the angle drive box where the lean wheel drive angles down to the front axle. It is my understanding that this box relies on grease from the various grease points flowing back into the box for the gear lubrication. So be sure to give it plenty.

Also, there are a LOTTT of adjustments in these old girls to cater for wear. You can find a rundown of most of them here:

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.p...s-Pre-G-series

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Deas Plant. View Post
    Hi, justallan.
    As I understand it, ccjersey is right about the oil for all the gearboxes except for the angle drive box where the lean wheel drive angles down to the front axle. It is my understanding that this box relies on grease from the various grease points flowing back into the box for the gear lubrication. So be sure to give it plenty.

Also, there are a LOTTT of adjustments in these old girls to cater for wear. You can find a rundown of most of them here:

http://www.acmoc.org/bb/showthread.p...s-Pre-G-series

Just my 0.02.
    Thank you.
    Looking this thing over, it sure seems that it was taken care of.
    Luckily I do have a power grease gun. I use it for farming and I guess now for this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Slick View Post
    Allan, Iím just about 25 miles south of you at Lame Deere. Parked at the medical center for the night. Headed to Colony WY to take a load to Oakland Ca.
    Do you live local or just passing through?