Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any help on laplant-choate pull pan id??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Any help on laplant-choate pull pan id??

Just saved from the scrap pile they had an i beam bolted underneath it and was using it to grade farm drives.. but i was trying to find a model number im guessing a 40 or 44 and could be way off. Also what was the color used on these or close kubota / allis orange. Then where would be a place to buy cutting edges at for this i am gonna want a leading edge center. Any help would be great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does look like a C44..... best hope for a cutting edge would be if it has a universal bolt pattern.

Thanks old magnet that is a huge help i wish i had your library it would make life easier and i could stop pestering you all.. lol so was the c40 an earlier model than the c44? Or just size. Then all the pictures are black and white or repaint was this orange?

Looking sharp!

Mine was also yellow when we got it some 40? years ago. I remember we were told it was an AllisChalmers pan but then looking it over we found the Laplant-Choate tag. I havenít ever noticed there was another color under the yellow so I think it was original.

Iíve had to have the rear cylinder repaired because of the problem with the cable and I think just tightened the rod packing gland on the front ones. I remember thinking it was going to be a job to repair the front cylinder but I think it was just an adjustment. Itís been a long time and memory isnít serving at the moment.

We used this behind a JD 5020 mostly over the years though I remember doing some light grading/landscaping type work behind our 4020. Best of all was the 4955! My frost bit is worn back nearly even with the side bits so that may be the reason why it takes so much tractor. Our dirt is mostly a very heavy prairie clay so that is a huge factor in the draft required.
    Last edited by ccjersey; 03-22-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Was interested to see the Flesh- Miller dealer tag in one photo. Flesh Miller was the Allis-Chalmers distributer for most of Indiana. They inherited the Allis Chalmers line in 1945. That is the year Mac Allister Machinery quit Allis Chalmers and became Caterpillar dealers.

I plan to fill with excavator mainly and use for small haul truck but in good soil conditions will a 4020 john deere load this?

My limited info does not mention a C40 model.
    They did have a C-42 model, still 4-yd to be pulled with an International I-9 or Case LA1 wheeled tractor.
    Here's a couple of color pictures with paint, don't know if that's original color although I'm thinking it might be. And another pic of restored unit with D4
    Last edited by Old Magnet; 03-21-2020 at 03:16 PM.

If it is a LaPlant-Choate is should be yellow(I painted my C45 old Cat yellow). If it is an Allis Chalmers then it should be AC orange.
    Chuck C

Note that the front door (apron?) locks the ejector when itís all the way down/closed. The cable must lift it a little before the ejector cylinder can stroke.
    Note the cylinders are large bore designed for about 1000 psi hydraulics

Add note 1 and note two and you can see that itís possible to severely damage the ejector when using a farm tractor with modern hydraulics. All it takes is a broken cable and the rear/ejector cylinder will push through the ejector or bulge the cylinder wall.

If youíre going to use it as designed, it helps to have the tires at max pressure so it doesnít suck into the cut so bad. Itís quite possible to stall a 200 plus HP MFWD tractor while loading at normal speeds. You had better be in a gear with throttle set so the tractor will spin out or be quick on the clutch! That being said, in our heavy ground a power shift MFWD tractor of that size is much more productive than a seemingly more practical 120-150 hp one.

In light ground you can do a lot more with a small tractor. The center/frost bit helps a lot too.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time