Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Cat project.

Default First Cat project.

This is my first post and first steel track project. A 5u D2. Has been sitting for a long time. both engines are free but no spark. Iím just getting started with it. I got the manuals and am learning. I will likely have questions so thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Looks like a nice machine

You might disconnect the wire from the mag to the mag switch. Those switches are known to go bad and people rebuild the mag when that isnt the problem. The web site for OLD CROAK MAGNETOS has a huge amount of information on mags. I recently had them rebuild a mag and I am pleased with their work. Grant.

Well itís not cherry for sure but has potential. After I get it running it will need some steering clutch work. I want to see how it runs before I get to excited

Thanks Grant. I was thinking about doing that. I have only spent a couple hours on it. Mostly cleaning the gas tank and some plumbing. Hope to start getting serious with it soon. Had some crap plug wires.

You have to use solid core wires for magnetos. I have found that the new end pieces for the wire (90 degree) from Napa are not long enough, and tend to slip out. I need to call Old Croak and see were to get better ones. Grant.

Thumb Very nice

Welcome to the club
    I use the site a lot and find info and parts that are hard to find. It's nice to be with like minded people. I picked up a couple Cat 955 track loader projects. Good luck
    And might I suggest start by getting a service manual, a parts manual, operators & maintenance manual for a start. If you have a question about anything on a Caterpillar it will help to add the S/N number because correct Cat parts are all tied into the S/N. Hence, the need for the manuals so everyone is talking about the same part.
    eBay has many of the necessary manuals.

agree on the solid core wires. I got some already.
    I was advised to get the manuals so I did already. The sn tag is not on the rear. So hope I can figure it out somehow. The tag is on the engine but I have no history on this unit. I did a fair amount of power washing today so maybe I can learn some more soon.
    Last edited by Sf1066; 05-29-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Think about joining ACMOC too, membership is less than a pail of engine oil, or a service book, but the technical support and good friendship you get is worth tens of thousands of $$$$$$, plus we need the help to keep the Club going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sf1066 View Post
    Well itís not cherry for sure but has potential. After I get it running it will need some steering clutch work. I want to see how it runs before I get to excited
    haha if you bought a 5ud2 and want to learn you're already to excited
    Looks like a good tractor
    Looks to have the big front idler, is it a 5 roller