Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: D4D SA Cat

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    4

    Default D4D SA Cat

    I have a D4D cat with oil type steering clutches. Cat recommends a 455281 oil- what is that? How do I check the oil level and where do I add the oil to it. I cannot find an operator's manual for this tractor, D4D SA 84J.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    oregon
    Posts
    289

    Default

    There is a plug on back of the machine on the right final drive. It's not very big. The ranch I worked for ran 10W motor oil in the clutch and steering clutch compartments. I think you fill the compartment under the seat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corralitos, Ca.
    Posts
    15,383

    Default

    Are we talking hydraulic boosted steering clutches like the D4E? Normally the 84J is dry steering clutches, at least until 84J1524. Don't have a parts book for the 84J1525-up. Oil recommended for the D4E bevel gear and steering clutch compartment is TDTO (TO-4 spec) SAE 30 wt.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    4

    Default thanks U-Joint!

    Quote Originally Posted by u-joint View Post
    There is a plug on back of the machine on the right final drive. It's not very big. The ranch I worked for ran 10W motor oil in the clutch and steering clutch compartments. I think you fill the compartment under the seat.
    Thanks U-Joint! I found the plug. I thought that was probably it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    4

    Default D4d

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Are we talking hydraulic boosted steering clutches like the D4E? Normally the 84J is dry steering clutches, at least until 84J1524. Don't have a parts book for the 84J1525-up. Oil recommended for the D4E bevel gear and steering clutch compartment is TDTO (TO-4 spec) SAE 30 wt.
    I appreciate your help with this. My D4D SA 84J1629 came with oil type steeering clutches according to a metal plate on arm rest. I am not familiar with the D4E. I am just getting this tractor ready for operation and I have not driven it enough to know if they are boosted are actual hydraulic steering clutches. It also has an oil type flywheel clutch which used a series 3 oil. So I am thinking that this TO-4 oil might the equivalent of the old series 3?

  6. #6

    Default steering oil

    My D4D had 900 hours when I bought it and the steering didn't want to release nor did the main clutch and I had to put in gear, hold back the steering arms and engage the main clutch to get everything to release. The solution was to drain everything and replace with 5/30 oil which solved the problem. The steering clutches have a spring poster assembly.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corralitos, Ca.
    Posts
    15,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RussellTurner View Post
    My D4D had 900 hours when I bought it and the steering didn't want to release nor did the main clutch and I had to put in gear, hold back the steering arms and engage the main clutch to get everything to release. The solution was to drain everything and replace with 5/30 oil which solved the problem. The steering clutches have a spring poster assembly.
    What s/n D4D are you referring to?

    TO-4 oil is a later spec developed for drive trains with clutches. Motor oils were determined to be to slick for clutch operation.

  8. #8

    Default steering

    I don't remember the ser. no and have since sold the tractor to the Juiceman. The tractor had a decal addressing the oil clutches which I didn't read. The engine was a turboed 3304

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corralitos, Ca.
    Posts
    15,383

    Default

    With the turbo 3304 that would make it a 84J1525-up s/n. Just trying to figure out if that change also included hydraulic boosted steering clutches and a circulating oil system and not just oil in the compartment.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    yuba city,california
    Posts
    1,517

    Confused From my inventory listing

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    With the turbo 3304 that would make it a 84J1525-up s/n. Just trying to figure out if that change also included hydraulic boosted steering clutches and a circulating oil system and not just oil in the compartment.
    OM: The serial number is 84J2281.
    Iím curious as to how this unit is built too. I havenít been around it much to study it.
    Everyone is in agreement that it runs like a scalded ape. On another note, it needs a muffler. Turbo outlet is 4.25Ē, which to me is oddball! Thank you, JM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •