Took my first run on the D42T this evening in about 16 months...felt good. The starting engine operated fine and pulled the main over. Fuel and oil pressures in good operating range.
Went out this afternoon planning on wrapping things up. Adjusted the main clutch. That took a while but I was able to take off the top of my bikini cover and access everything. I also adjusted the latch screws on the starting pinion. The clutch appears OK-it snaps back good. It never has for me until now. There is sure a sweet spot between too much and too little. It held fine. The levers fall right under the locks from the gear box after the adjustments to the clutch.
The starting pinion stayed engaged very well. I think it may need another half turn. I did not want to go too far with it. You can laugh, but one of the set screws in the latch was absolutely froze. Applied heat and PB Blaster with no result. Unable to move it, guess what I used...CANDLE WAX! Freed right up. No kidding.
Topped off the gear box oil and decided to look underneath to make sure nothing was leaking...I'll be dogged but diesel was leaking at a pretty good rate! Could not believe it. I began looking around starting at the on-off valve as I swapped out the drain valve for the ON-OFF, (another story). Anyway, the metal fuel line turned out to have a pin hole in it. That is why it ran out of fuel the other eveing I am sure. A trip to lowes for tubing at 8:30 and spliced in a section. No leaks.
Got the starting engine going again and ultimately the main. Let it idle at half thorttle for about fifteen minutes while I was taking down the truss I built to set the tran cover. Took it for a whirl. Got it back in the barn and adjusted the clutcehes and brakes a little more. I will see tomorrow how well it does. It did fair tonight
Thanks for the help to get me to this point.
I am so glad I cut that cover. I was able to remove it without removing the starting engine flywheel OR the dash. I just loosened the dash.