Thread: #12 grader drive

Default #12 grader drive

How exactly does the drive work on my grader? My Dad says there are chains inside the housing on the axle.I know when I was plowing last winter I got stuck and the left front dirver and the right rear driver were the wheels spinning. It has a flat tire right now and fixing it isn't high on the priorty list right now but he did want to move ot from where it was.He was afraid that it would snap the chain inside if he moved it too far(tire is junk so no other damage there to worry about).
    Last edited by Rob Balfour; 11-28-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Yes, they have a separate chain drive to each wheel....sounds like you have a couple broken.

That's what I was kinda wondering after thinking about it.All the wheels should have spun right?It's a 212 by the way.8T model.

Default #12 grader drive

Hello,
    I have a 212 9T that I was plowing with, all four wheels spin on mine. as far as hurting anything with a flat I had to drive mine close to a quarter of a mile with two flats (bad rims) without hurting anything. one rim actually came apart on the way! getting those rims off the machine whole nother story.

Default Grader

Rob, an 8T is a #12 grader and a 9T is a # 212 grader as dardd2 said.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Default Cat grader drive

Hi, Rob Balfour.
    The Cat tandem drive system had no differential. There was a solid cross shaft which ended with drive sprockets inside each chain case. From those sprockets, chains carried the drive forward to the front drive wheel and back to the rear drive wheel on each side. Replacing the chains is not the easiest job you will ever do on a Cat grader but not the hardest either. There is usually some involvement with pieces of wire and/or rope to pull chains out and in - and maybe a little cussing too, depending on your temperament.

It doesn't hurt to have the wheel whose chain you are replacing jacked slightly off the ground so that you can turn it by hand, both to hjelp in winding the chain on and to enable you to get all the slack out of the bottom to assist in connecting the new chain. When you pull the slack out of the bottom, have a timber wedge handy to shove under the tire to stop the wheel turning back and letting the slack go again.

I don't know about the 212's but you could jack up any wheel you chose on a standard, front scarifier-equipped Cat 12 with just the blade and maybe a chock or two.. If you want to jack up a rear wheel, keep the blade square across the machine, lift the front wheels off the ground by maybe 10 - 12" (Usually only the left will come off the ground because of the weight of the lean wheel drive on the right.), then PULL BACK the blade control on the side AWAY from the side that you want to lift. The causes a weight transfer that will lift the rear wheels on the opposite side from the blade control that you pulled back on.

Hope this helps.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Thanks for the info.

Default #12 grader drive.

Be very careful about driving with broken chains. The chains could get "bunched up" and it the right position, be ruined and or crack the tandem housing. That would NOT be an easy repair.