Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D7E coolant heater

Thumbs up

Pony motor is fed by an elbow that comes out the side of the block from back side of pony.

Question 12 VOLT HEATER on 24 volt system

The 12 volt heater on your loader has to have a 24 to 12 volt step down transformer for it to not drain the one battery. You cant hook to one battery on a 24 volt system it will constantly drain the one battery that has the current draw. Your charging system will not charge just one battery it is set up to charge 24 volts not 12volts. I have run into this a few times with other equipment - 88-B dragline - d-8 k -terex rock trucks ect. Mostly with off the shelf cab heaters. You can buy a voltage reducer at an industial suppler.

That's what our one friend has been doing now. Seems to work with the transformer in place. I think he was paying a 100 dollars or so though for them. Was going to check around on the net and see if I couldn't find something a little cheaper. The heaters are only 8 amps draw a peak power or somewhere around there, might not even be that much. So it doesn't need a very big transformer at all.

Looking threw the parts diagrams and spied the block drain and elbows wich sounds like what would otherwise feed the pup motor. Hoping maybe I can tee into that.

Ryan

A "transformer" for DC to DC is probably more properly called a "converter" since if it was just a transformer, it wouldn't work with DC power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_pull_converter

A simpler way to do it is to use a resister in the circuit to drop the voltage to the unit from 24 to 12.

Another way to do it would be to swap the supply to the unit from one battery to the other each time you use it. It would only take a double pole-double throw toggle switch and a bit more wire to arrange that.

The converters don't waste much energy.
    The resister wastes approximately the same amount of power that the unit draws.
    The switch wouldn't waste any power and should keep the batteries' state of charge in balance over time.
    Last edited by ccjersey; 01-12-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

Default OHMS and a Resistor

Wouldn't the resistor have to flow 8 amps plus drop the 12 volts?
    Its Monday, its late and I seem to remember OHMS Law applies here???

for the short time the heater system is in use hooking to the Positive side of the ground battery will not hurt a thing (if it is a negative ground system) The battery that has been in use will gain voltage till it matches the fully charged battery then they will both charge to full charge
    I hook my 12 volt rotating beacon I use for night snow plowing on my Hd6 to the hot side of the battery that is grounded with no ill effect
    I remember one of my Dad's old friends used to screw a sheet metal screw into the center strap of the older 12 volt batteries with exposed connectors between cells to run a 6volt radio in his old Jeep pickup
    Butch

Default best baseboard heaters

Can anyone recommend me the best product from the list mentioned in this site. https://11must.com/best-baseboard-heaters/