Thread: Norscot Caterpillar 966A

Default Norscot Caterpillar 966A

http://www.modellbau-info.com/norscot_seite2.html

Click the link for the photo. I thought it was going to have a cab, otherwise it look good!

That model site is chock-full of pop-up ads of the worst kind. Make sure you have your pop-up blocker on, and don't allow pop-ups from that site, if it asks ..

chugwater - The Cat loaders pretty much all came without cabs as standard in the 60's. All the 966B and C's I worked in 'Nam never had so much as a sunshade.
    I have pics of guys working 966's in open-pits, here in Australia in the mid-1970's, still without cabs. Naturally, the regulations have changed since that time, and you wouldn't be able to get a loader on most sites now, without a cab.

Thanks. I leave my pop up blocker on because of that junk.

chugwater, the early rigid frame cat loaders had an optional fibreglass cab available...here's a scan from a 944A brochure (same style for 922 and 966a), otherwise you just made your own.. or as Ozdozer says just sat out in the elements.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a photo of the open-pit at the Princess Royal Gold Mine, at Norseman, Western Australia .. taken in 1975.
    Notice how only one D9G has a sunshade/canopy, while the 966, and the scrapers, have no cabs, or ROPS .. not even sunshades ..

This pit was one of the largest gold-mining open pits in Western Australia at that time, in the West Australian goldfields.
    Since that time, mining regulations have tightened considerably, and nowadays, you wouldn't even be able to unload an item of equipment, on any West Australian minesite, that doesn't have ROPS, A/C cab, disc brakes, and is preferably less than 12 years old. The average age of most current mining equipment in W.A. is probably around 5 years old. 10 yrs old, is a old machine in W.A. mining ..
    It doesn't help that the machines usually work 24/7/365, and often run up 10,000 hrs within 2 years.

The Princess Royal open pit was one of the first to be worked 24/7/365, and it ended up, quite a large pit.
    The Princess Royal was a very rich mine, and had been in production from around 1901, worked by using a "decline" shaft (a shaft angled at 45), to access the rich gold veins via underground workings.
    It rarely produced below half an ounce of gold to the ton, a very rich gold vein by anyones standard. The open pit commenced after the decline shaft workings became too deep to mine economically.

Princess Royal open pit .. http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5030/pit1.jpg

Norseman town history .. http://www.dundas.wa.gov.au/tourism/history.html