Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pony to electric start - new parts source

Default pony to electric start - new parts source

I have a D47u and a 12 8t grader and was thinking of going to a direct electric starter. I have paid close attention to everything Old Magnet has posted here and at his Image shack. I finally got around to calling Components Parts Co in CA for the starter drive 3-293A. They said "out of stock" try our other store in KS. They said "can't sell to anyone but rebuilders". I had done a lot of surfing to find someone closer and then anyone at all with no luck. Today I found what looks like a great supplier on EBAY.

They are:
    Ebay seller name: triodiode

Following is copied from their Ebay store:
    Weitzel's D.C. Electric Norwalk, Ohio 419-668-2844

Custom Rebuilder of Starters, Alternators and Generators

Doing it yourself? We sell parts.

BUSHINGS, BEARINGS, BRUSHES, BRUSH SPRINGS, SOLENOIDS, ARMATURES, FIELDS, STATORS, ROTORS, GENERATOR KITS, STARTER KITS, VOLTAGE REGULATORS, THREW BOLTS, SHIFT FORKS, BRUSH HOLDERS AND MORE!

Have questions on other parts. Give us a call. Open 8:00-5:00 Monday- Friday.
    Saturday 8:00 to Noon
    Closed Sundays
    Ohio 419-668-2844
    Toll Free 1-866-840-2844

They have the 11 ($61.39)and 12 ($56.04) teeth starter drives.

Caterpillar Helix Starter Drive 40 MT Conversion 12 T Item number: 250072356243
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cater...6243QQtcZphoto

Delco Remy Starter Starter Drive Helix Gear Caterpillar Item number: 250027274280
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delco...4280QQtcZphoto

I have a 42 MT starter, should I use the 11 or 12 tooth?

Thanks,
    Muzz

Hi Muzz,
    Didn't know you were having trouble locating parts. Should have put up a post as I have several alternative sources for the special drives and housings although this is the first time I've head of Component Parts not having the stuff.
    Either the 11 or 12 tooth helical drive works fine on the 40MT, 42MT and 50MT starters. Just make sure you get the right rotation as there is both a LH and RH helical drives available.
    Yes, some suppliers are touchy about selling directly to users, which makes it difficult to source.

I have dealt with C C Battery in Corpus Christi, Texas. 800-531-1038
    www.ccbattery.com. Ed

Another guy that knows what he is doing and can set you up with a new starter is Tom at Wyoming Starter and Alternator. One man shop and owner really nice guy. His number is 307-682-1311. You can thro my name at him if you want. He keeps busy. John Rose from Moorcroft, Wy.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Hi Muzz,
    Didn't know you were having trouble locating parts. Should have put up a post as I have several alternative sources for the special drives and housings although this is the first time I've head of Component Parts not having the stuff.
    Either the 11 or 12 tooth helical drive works fine on the 40MT, 42MT and 50MT starters. Just make sure you get the right rotation as there is both a LH and RH helical drives available.
    Yes, some suppliers are touchy about selling directly to users, which makes it difficult to source.
    Say Old Magnet do we want a LH or RH heli drive. My local stater shop is building me up a MT 42 rig right now. PS how do I cancel a For Sale Ad. Also can you refer w to a thread that describes now to verify a stuck fuel rack. My D4 7u sat in a Humid Michigan climate w the fuel detent in the closed position. So the only thing I have not tried is the throttle lever fuel off detent. This old Traxavator is going to be running this spring. By Hell or High Water. Metisse1965

You need a RH helical gear drive.
    Open up your ad and delete under the edit function.
    Take the side cover off the fuel injection pump housing and check for movement. A little pushing and prodding along with some WD-40 should get it going again.

Hi there.
    just found this source out.

http://www.rockanddirt.com/dispads/0000001783.pdf
    firecat

Exclamation Traxavator reference measurement?

Quote Originally Posted by metisse1965 View Post
    Say Old Magnet do we want a LH or RH heli drive. My local stater shop is building me up a MT 42 rig right now. PS how do I cancel a For Sale Ad. Also can you refer w to a thread that describes now to verify a stuck fuel rack. My D4 7u sat in a Humid Michigan climate w the fuel detent in the closed position. So the only thing I have not tried is the throttle lever fuel off detent. This old Traxavator is going to be running this spring. By Hell or High Water. Metisse1965
    Old Magnet--- Got starter its Sweet! However looking at drawings from Image Shack. My Traxavator has a reinforcement plate over the (3) 1/2 inch holes that provide and up / down reference for the drilling fixture. Its nearly impossible to remove this plate as the up / down cylinder is hooked to it. Center of starter is required to be 3/4 of an inch above center line of 1/2 inch threaded hole on the bell housing casting. I do have the (2) 3/8 threaded holes that are along the edge of the bell housing.

Am I making sense? I can send some photo's if you need them.

Thanks

Ron K
    Metisse1965

Can you give me a measurement from either of these 3/8 holes?

Hi Ron,
    Yes, I follow what you are describing.
    Let me take a look at referencing off the 3/8 side cover bolt holes.
    My drill jig picks up those holes as well as the three 1/2 holes on the side of the bell housing.

Follow Up on Traxavator Reference

Say Old Magnet:

I'd donate $100 to your favorite charity or put it towards taking your significant other out for dinner. If I could use your fixture for a couple of days.

Likewise pay shipping both ways to Michigan and back again.

Thanks
    Ron K