Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pony to electric start - new parts source

My jig wouldn't do you any good if you can't access the three 1/2 in. bolt holes on the side of the bell housing plus the two 3/8 bolt holes for the engine side covers.

I measured for center locations using the 3/8 bolts and get 4-11/16 in. down from the top bolt and/or 3-1/16 in. up from the lower one. That is on a check measurement of the bolt hole centers being 7-3/4 in. apart.

I don't really want to be shipping the jig either the way things have a habit of getting lost

I just finished putting a 40MT starter (was quite a bit cheaper than the 42MT) on my D4 7U. YIPPEEE YAY!! No more having to listen to that pony motor cackle away. I guess the next thing is going to be to get the newer precups and glow plugs as it takes a sniff of ether below about 45 degrees to get it fired up.

Several things I did notice during all this. First, if there's anyway possible, break the tracks so ya don't hafta stand on your head to do the layout. It'll give a bit more room when the drill motor binds up too. Second, get a carbide tipped hole saw. .it'll make life a lot nicer (and do the hole faster). I cut the 2 5/8" hole with a hole saw that wasn't carbide tipped. Hadta sharpen it a few times before I got through that inch of cast iron. Also, I used 1/2" bolts as the starter had bushings for that size. And as cramped as it was tapping the 1/2" holes, I could imagine how much fun it could have been going 5/8" instead.

After I got everything mounted, I tried it out with heavy automotive cables. Not the best, but they were what was handy at the moment. I've since replaced 'em with some 2/0 cables I made up and what a difference!!

Before anyone asks, I think I'll leave the pony on it 'til I see how everything works come winter rather than take it off and sell it now. As much time as I spent on the D4 this past winter is any indication of the "global warming" it could be worse next winter. .might even hafta build a cab for the critter

Before you go buying glow plug pre-com chambers and glow plugs better check your tractor serial number. The glow plug set up will not fit units prior to 7U19767. Takes the later head part # 1H7657 (casting # 7F3764) which has a larger pre-com chamber bore.
    Yes there are plenty of cheap 40MT starters out there as they are obsolete.
    The 42MT is a better built unit with more serviceable parts, especially the brush holder assembly and main power terminal.

Did you do the modification to allow the installation of the engine side covers?

OM, If you're referring to grinding the outside flush with the clutch housing, yep. I haven't put the side cover back on yet as I want to pressure wash the belly pan and engine first.

I guess I missed the part about the head change. I did talk to the Cat dealer about parts availability and they're out there but I forgot to mention the S/N. I'll rectify that sometime this coming week and see what happens.

I was referring to the alteration that allows you to tuck the solenoid in so that it does not interfere with the side panels.

I guess I missed that alteration but the solenoid isn't in the way of the side panel. It is right up against the boss for the pinion, I did however have to remove most of the reinforcing rib on the inside of the panel to clear the starter motor.

That's as good as it gets
    Maybe you stumbled on to a better fitting indexable nose. They normally don't come bushed. Any chance of identifying with a part number?

OM, I went back to your site and saw what you were referring to; grinding clearance for the outboard mount bolt. Sorry to say, I didn't luck into some magic indexable nose that miraculously fit I did a little grinding in the area shown on your site but used a regular Grade 8 bolt that I thinned the head down a bit. (Didn't have an Allen head capscrew of the size needed on hand) T'was a bit awkward holding the starter up and starting that particular bolt as it had to go in first.

All in all, a fun project but not one that I'm in a real hurry to repeat. It would be a lot easier with the clutch housing off the engine, true, but it can be done with the critter all together. .if anyone is willing to sacrifice a bit of skin off their knuckles.

Thank you for Measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    My jig wouldn't do you any good if you can't access the three 1/2 in. bolt holes on the side of the bell housing plus the two 3/8 bolt holes for the engine side covers.

I measured for center locations using the 3/8 bolts and get 4-11/16 in. down from the top bolt and/or 3-1/16 in. up from the lower one. That is on a check measurement of the bolt hole centers being 7-3/4 in. apart.

I don't really want to be shipping the jig either the way things have a habit of getting lost
    Yes I am in Law Enforcement and as our economy sours, pensions are called into question and health care deductibles increase things do get lost. However in my 61 years on this earth I've never been screwed by a true gun lover or devoted classic motorcycle buff. My D4 is a tool not a piece to be put into a museum.

Thanks for the measurement I should be able to lay it out but a heavy duty drill working on cast iron hunched over can sometimes drift off center.

What the Hell I'll make my own fixture. Maybe someone will want to rent it for $100 when I get finished w my job plus S&H bothways?

PS Larceny is taking what does n't belong to you and failure to return rental items w a valid contract revocation clause is a felony in most states.

As a side note my M42 starter w hose bevel and heavy copper leads for the twin 12 volt batteries was $340. A fair price I thought.

Take Care

Ron K
    Metisse1965

Old Magnet. .has anyone to your knowledge ever remachined the head of one of these old critters to take the newer precoms and retainers that would use the glow plugs? As I'm a retired machinist with access to machine tools it strikes me that this might be a cheaper alternative to getting a new head.