Thread: Grader wheel hub removal

Default Grader wheel hub removal

I need to rework the brakes on my Galion 104. It has two-wheel brakes so I only need to remove two of the wheel hubs. I have the locking center nut off and have tried to remove the hubs off the tapered axle shaft with absolutely no luck. I've tried to use a hydraulic jack but the distance is too close between the frame and the lip on the hub. A 12# sledge is not getting the job done either. Once I get them loose I can then back off the shoe adjusters to keep them from hanging up. Any suggestions on getting hubs off the axle shaft?

tear it apart and find somebody with a 100 ton press-

also can use a small charge of dynamite-

it will not come without a fight

phildirt

Look at the area around the nut, there should be a few tapped holes for attaching a puller. If so you could fab a cross bar & use some hardened steel studs & the jack to force the hub off the shaft.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Tsk

Id suggest keeping the nut on the axle shaft so it donít fly over to the other side of the shop when it brakes loose.
    Kelly

Caterpillar Service Magazine...1952
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kelly; 07-07-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    Old Caterpillar Watch Fob.

Without history, a society shares no common memory of where it has been, of what its core values are, or what decisions in the past account for the present circumstances.

I borrowed a puller that looked like the one in the picture to pull the 212 hubs a few years ago. Tightened it up good and tight and then whacked it once with a 10 pound sledge and it popped them right off.
    D2-5J's, D6-9U's, D318 and D333 power units, 12E-99E grader, 922B & 944A wheel loaders, D330C generator set, DW20 water tanker and a bunch of Jersey cows to take care of in my spare time

well if its like a cat 12 get 2 rosebuds one on each side with a puller and hang on when it goes.

unfortunately there are no threaded holes in the hub to attach a puller. Weld on pulling brackets?

Well you could drill N tap two holes in hub for a puller then heat hub with torch.