This model has black wheels. The No. 4 Hi-Way Patrol was
introduced in 1932 as a replacement for the No. 3 Hi-Way Patrol, a
pull grader brought into the product line when Caterpillar
purchased Russell Grader Manufacturing Co. in 1928. At this time,
motorized graders were still in their infancy, and graders pulled
by tractors were much more common. The No. 4 was the smallest pull
grader in the Caterpillar product line, and was produced until
1941. It was designed for reshaping and maintaining roads, cleaning
ditches, and light road building. While larger graders were
commonly used by states and counties for road construction, the No.
4 found typical use by townships, farms, ranches and private
businesses. The 1650lb. weight and 8 wide blade of the No. 4
made it well suited for Caterpillar Ten, Fifteen, Twenty,
Twenty-Two, Twenty-Five, R2 and D2 tractors, as well as tractors of
other makes between 10 and 25 drawbar horsepower.