The No. 4 Hi-Way Patrol was introduced in 1932 as a replacement for the No. 3
Hi-Way Patrol, a pull grader brought into the product line when Caterpillar
purchased Russell Grader Manufacturing Co. in 1928. At this time, motorized
graders were still in their infancy, and graders pulled by tractors were much
more common. The No. 4 was the smallest pull grader in the Caterpillar product
line, and was produced until 1941. It was designed for reshaping and maintaining
roads, cleaning ditches, and light road building. While larger graders were
commonly used by states and counties for road construction, the No. 4 found
typical use by townships, farms, ranches and private businesses. The 1650lb.
weight and 8’ wide blade of the No. 4 made it well suited for Caterpillar Ten,
Fifteen, Twenty, Twenty-Two, Twenty-Five, R2 and D2 tractors, as well as
tractors of other makes between 10 and 25 drawbar horsepower.