Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the site slow lately?

Default Is the site slow lately?

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change lately. Seems to me that it is just this site as the other sites I frequent are performing fine. Just wondering. Thanks.

Bryan

Bryan, speed seems just fine to me. Besides the occasional spammer, it has been loading quickly. Try checking for malware. Often times, it will slow down a computer.
    933 42A, D4 7U, 2- D2 5U, 2- D2 4U, PV 15, LaPlante Choate C-20 scraper, and always with an eye out for more

Before this, the old site loaded quickly but this "new and improved" one loads slow for me too. The ACME site still loads just as fast as it ever did.

Confused

I'm not seeing anything unusual in the stats that would be slowing the site down. Google's site speed tracking is pretty new, but it looks like the board has been loading at a fairly consistent speed for the past several months.

If anyone else experiences unusual slowness while browsing the board, please post here! If you were doing something specific, tell me that too.
    Bulletin board problems? Email your questions to support@acmoc.org

(...I can't tell a tractor from a lawnmower, so we're even.)

I still don't think it's my machine as I run MalWare and Norton. What really makes me think it's not my machine is I tried it on my wifes Mac and it loaded slow on there too. Seems to load the main page fast, slows down when I go to to the bulletin board, gallery, etc. Pictures also seem to display differently, instead of being able to scroll through pictures it opens up a window and I need to "go back" and click on the next picture to view.

Bryan

Default Upgrade a bad move

Quote Originally Posted by ol'_Grump View Post
    Before this, the old site loaded quickly but this "new and improved" one loads slow for me too. The ACME site still loads just as fast as it ever did.
    Since the last upgrade the site is unbeliveably, almost unworkabley slow when on dialup at one of my locations. There are issues with posting and corruption problems.

This site is of interest world wide. Not everyone everywhere has access to high speed and the latest whiz bang computers. The last upgrade has made ACMOC an elitest group.

Because of the upgrade we have lost SJ. SJ was a tremendous asset to the board. He was always there to greet new posters and where else could one hope to find someone with the lifelong experience rebuilding our Cat engines that was so willing to share his knowledge.

I belive the actual ACMOC club itself does not care much about this board so we can not hope for much improvement.

Tom

Bryan and Tom,

I've made some tweaks to the board that may speed up the load time. Let me know if it seems to help or not. There may be more I can do, but not as easily.

Also, some stats:
    - Board traffic has increased 30% since this time last year
    - Only about 3% of the current traffic is using dialup
    - The actual number of dialup users hasn't changed much from last year

So I guess you dialup people aren't being scared away by the slow load time, which is good.

But we don't know there's a problem unless you tell us!

Quote Originally Posted by adco View Post
    But we don't know there's a problem unless you tell us!
    Indeed. Also, the push for "whiz bang computers" is not driven by the staff at ACMOC, but rather demanded by the entire technical side of software development, online shopping, etc.. It has been explained time and time again, the old version of the bulletin board software was no longer supported by VBulletin. As far as ACME is concerned, they are in the same boat and there have been murmurs about needing to follow suit. Be forewarned.

Regarding SJ, do not heap on the staff or the admin, as they have been trying to help him. From what I understand, he is still using webTV. That technology has been around since the last ice age (I exagerate).

Quote Originally Posted by 8C 361 View Post
    I belive the actual ACMOC club itself does not care much about this board so we can not hope for much improvement.

Tom
    With all respect, you sir, are wrong.
    933 42A, D4 7U, 2- D2 5U, 2- D2 4U, PV 15, LaPlante Choate C-20 scraper, and always with an eye out for more

Hi Tom,
    You are not totally wrong. Issues like attachment order and word duplication have been with us since the beginning....and now this email piracy thing.

They ask for examples of duplication (which I didn't provide as it obvious even in their own posts) problem still exists.

For the few of us that actually post attachments the "no order control" is very annoying an unprofessional. Problem still exists.

Haven't noticed any slow internet operation but that's not the only thing that's slow.

I'd also agree with you that nothing has been gained from the former format and I consider the order control to be a major loss. Leaving a sinking ship program is hardly an improvement, it was a neccessity.

I'd also agree that the BB has forever been the orphan child in terms of support. Maybe dues ought to be prorated to match the amount of BB attention and improvement.

I could go on about excuses and blame but the pattern seems set.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Magnet View Post
    Hi Tom,
    You are not totally wrong. Issues like attachment order and word duplication have been with us since the beginning....and now this email piracy thing.
    Email piracy?

They ask for examples of duplication (which I didn't provide as it obvious even in their own posts) problem still exists.
    Sorry, I don't actually post a lot so I have not seen this problem myself...tried looking through some of your posts but couldn't see anything wrong. It's possible that some people are seeing different things from others. If you really want this issue fixed, PLEASE give me some links and screenshots to work with.

For the few of us that actually post attachments the "no order control" is very annoying an unprofessional. Problem still exists.
    Unfortunately, this is something that's up to vBulletin to correct and is apparently very low on their priority list. We even offered them money.

I'd also agree that the BB has forever been the orphan child in terms of support. Maybe dues ought to be prorated to match the amount of BB attention and improvement.
    I respond well to chocolate and lolcats.

-Megan