Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready for Antique Tractor Plow Day..........again,.......still.

where was this at? looks like jones mich show grounds, but u said something about across town. u know why no one brought a trip plow? they didn't want see that tracked machine working when wheeled jobs git stuck. love those farm cats!

Quote Originally Posted by ag-mike View Post
    where was this at? looks like jones mich show grounds, but u said something about across town. u know why no one brought a trip plow? they didn't want see that tracked machine working when wheeled jobs git stuck. love those farm cats!
    This was at Scotts Mill Park, on the east side of Kalamazoo County. It's a County park featuring an original water powered grist mill (sorry, should have snapped a few shot's of the mill). Scotts Mill Park (in Scotts twp.) is the home of the Scotts Olde Tyme Power & Equipment Association here in Kalamazoo. The other two plow days (that I missed) were for our Kalamazoo Valley Antique Engine & Machinery Club.

I'll be down at the Jones swap meet next Friday & Saturday.
    Rich Salvaggio
    D2 5U9917
    '46 Willys CJ2A Farm Jeep, '49 International KB-7, '31 Allis Chalmers U, Cushman Scooter(s)
    Antique garden tractors & outboard motors
    Other rusty old junk comes & goes without warning.

The 2 most useful tools to have in your shop are a Crystal Ball and a Magic Wand

thanks rich. i'm on the east coast till mem-day, see u this summer some time.

Two years ago I rode along with a good friend to pick up a little 2 row John Deere planter after it was sandblasted. This little planter could not weigh over 800lbs. We loaded it and secured it with two large 1200lbs rated ratchet straps on his two axle car trailer and headed for home. Before we reached the edge of town(Bloomington IL) a city cop pulled us over. The officer proceeded to go over the whole rig with a fine tooth comb. When it was all said and done we pulled back on the road with the following violations Insecure load, not enough tred depth on the tires, no breakaway system, and loud pipes on the truck. The officer stated what several of you have, minimum 4 seperate chains/straps on 4 different points. He did not care that the straps we were using were way over rated for the load we were securing, that is what the book said. The trailer was licensed for under the minimum limit that requires a breakaway, further more the trailer was built in 93 before breakaways were required in IL. Long story short my friend fought the charges in court, come to find out that officer had a long history of harrassing truck drivers and people pulling trailers in that area. The judge was less than pleased that the officer was once again wasting his time, and all charges against my friend were dropped except for the loud muffler tickect. That little ordeal really opened my eyes to just how bad it can get if the officer that stops you wants to really stick it to you. Now It really ticks me off when I some machinery jock tooling down the interstate with a flatbed full of farm equipment hanging all over it and 4 or 5 chains holding the whole mess on the trailer. Where the hell are the DOT's then, they are to busy hassling the guy that is hauling his d2 to plow days, or the guy bringing his antique planter home! I'am not saying you should be careless when your hauling your machines, but some of the requirements nonsense. I will jump down off the soap box now and climb back on the crawler!

Here's a question. .how do the truckers get by using ratchet straps on flatbed trailer loads such as units of plywood or lumber instead of chains?

Thumb

Quote Originally Posted by chriscokid View Post
    Look good,
    Just a word of caution, the DMV in NC does not allow you to secure a load by chaining thru the pin.
    In all my years of trucking, I actually didn't know that. It is not a practice I generally use, but now I will know not too. Thanks Eric.
    1953 D4 6U8588 Cat hyd. blade, Hyster D4 winch
    1959 955 Traxcavator 12A6595
    1959 Rogers/Phelan 25 ton lowboy
    1960 D7 17A14922

Quote Originally Posted by ol Grump View Post
    Here's a question. .how do the truckers get by using ratchet straps on flatbed trailer loads such as units of plywood or lumber instead of chains?
    The straps are rated for more than chains alot of times. They actually hold better and do not tend to damage the load as often. A 4" nylon strap is rated for a 5400lb working load. Break strength would be twice that amount.
    1953 D4 6U8588 Cat hyd. blade, Hyster D4 winch
    1959 955 Traxcavator 12A6595
    1959 Rogers/Phelan 25 ton lowboy
    1960 D7 17A14922

I see an awful lot of those straps "Fluttering" in the wind going down the freeway. I always put a single twist on the strap and they don't do that.
    Rich Salvaggio
    D2 5U9917
    '46 Willys CJ2A Farm Jeep, '49 International KB-7, '31 Allis Chalmers U, Cushman Scooter(s)
    Antique garden tractors & outboard motors
    Other rusty old junk comes & goes without warning.

The 2 most useful tools to have in your shop are a Crystal Ball and a Magic Wand