Thread: Carburetor float material substitution

Default Carburetor float material substitution

Is there any float material that can be substituted for cork that is ethanol resistant and will function in an old Zenith carburetor? Present one is done and I can't seem to find anyone that has a good one. Thanks in advance, larry.

Default Hi Larry

Check out "Restoration Supply Co." in California, they have a comprehensive catalog you can view via your computer, I'm sure I saw them list a new gas resistant foam like material for rebuilding carby floats.
    regards
    Mike

Default Carburetor Float material substition

Mike, many thanks for the info. They do have the material. It is called Nitrophyl. They also have other products that may be used on the old dozers, such as hose clamps, wire ends, etc. Thanks again, Larry.

One of our customers at work* just gave me a Restoration Supply catalog. LOT'S of cool and hard to find stuff in there!

*(I built an adapter for his 1912 Buick to mount a distributor in place of the magneto)(I love doing cool stuff like that and getting paid to do it)(should had had him leave the car, you know that distributor mount should have been thoroughly tested ).
    Rich Salvaggio
    D2 5U9917
    '46 Willys CJ2A Farm Jeep, '49 International KB-7, '31 Allis Chalmers U, Cushman Scooter(s)
    Antique garden tractors & outboard motors
    Other rusty old junk comes & goes without warning.

The 2 most useful tools to have in your shop are a Crystal Ball and a Magic Wand

Default Hi Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Mike, many thanks for the info. They do have the material. It is called Nitrophyl. They also have other products that may be used on the old dozers, such as hose clamps, wire ends, etc. Thanks again, Larry.
    I just bought a heap of parts from them myself including the old style hose clamps and everything arrived safely here in Australia a few days ago and looks great, thanks to Mastercard and the USPS!
    regards
    Mike

I made a pair of floats for an Ensign Aee carburetor using the Nitrophyl material

A few notes:
    1. Restoration Supply seems to very good to deal with- very quick service;
    2. The Nitrophyl material is very nice to work with, I machined it on the Bridgeport, but I think simple shapes could be easily done with hand tools;
    3. Each float was about 10 gr lighter than the sealed cork floats I was using.

We are trying to solve a chronic "sticking float and flooding" problem- time will tell.

Im have the same float sticking and flooding problem in my cat 25 ensign carb with the same material. i cant get it to straighten out. i think im going to put cork back in.