Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the late D2 have a oil clutch?

Default Did the late D2 have a oil clutch?

Silly question here, did the later D2 models ever have a oil main clutch fitted, I have D2 5U16586 here.
    Thanks
    Mike

Yes.
    I think it was an option. I have never seen one in person.

Available from 5U16128 from factory and also as a field changeover 7H1423 arrangement
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My understanding from a knowledgeable person: the oil clutch has a different flywheel housing, so if you want to fit one to a tractor before a certain ser# you will need the correct housing to hook it up.
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Thanks for the prompt replies, the thought never crossed my mind that my D2 5U might have a oil clutch, all my other Cats are real antiques with dry clutches, but while under the D2 today doing my first engine oil change since owning her, noticed the base of the bellhousing was different to my D2 4U4550 and I assumed it might have been a oil screen there, time for more dismantling and a service!

Ya learn something every day!!
    Thanks again
    Mike
    Last edited by Mike Meyer; 02-18-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Mike, if it is a oil clutch, it would be evident from the top because of the extra dip stick?
    D2 5u & 3J
    212 9T
    RD4
    D4 7J & 7U
    R4 4G
    Gas 35's
    Diesel 35
    Diesel 40
    Gas 50's 5A
    Diesel 50 1E1755
    Diesel 75
    D 8800 power unit 9J 6113SP
    LeTourneau D4 tournapull/Q Carryall
    Letourneau D Carryall's
    LaPlant-Choate CAB-97

Default 933

Hi Mike,
    seeing the later 933's came with oil clutch for their severe operating conditions it is reasonable to expect it would flow on into the D2 range.

As said above, became an option for the D2 4U07020-up & 5U16128-up.

Product Bulletin Feb. 13 1956, Tractor Section, tells of the Oil Clutch Change Over Kit (7H1423) being retrofit-able to the aforementioned S/No's-up.

When the fan gets to turn again I may scan and post the S/Bulletin and see if I have a Special Instruction for the Change Over.

Gee Mike--the Gods must have smiled on you to allow you to own such an advanced piece of delectable/desirable equipment You will enjoy using that one.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Yes was an option for the later d2 tractors with the removable clutch cover I have 5u18852 has oil clutch and direct start ....
    My question is how were these tractors ordered back in the 40s and 50s did you sit down with the dealer and tick options for a factory build
    or did Cat produce a few with options and supply as required , or did dealers get base tractors and
    use the field changeover kits to build the customers spec ??
    Last edited by cheshire cat; 02-19-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Default Options

Hi Team,
    I could see Cat supplying to Dealers order based on client projections or actual orders--no doubt some would be converted by the Dealer to satisfy an Oil Clutch option order.
    Tractor at that and the early days of my time were supplied from Cat as Drawbar Tractors.
    Any attachments were ordered at the same time as the machine.

The Dealer kept a supply of blades and related gear in stock for fitment to stock machines based on projected orders or past history of the attachments commonly ordered.

Once Cat Of Australia started up in the mid 1950's and replaced Steelweld here who had built attachments under license--the need to keep stock of smaller and now larger machine attachments built at Tullamarine here in Melbourne was not so critical as the attachments were close at hand and did not have to come from USA or even Great Britain to Australia.
    The D2 was off the Sales Books by the time I started at The Dealer in 1962.
    Others may be able to chip in with actual experience or by now a lot of it is guess work.
    Cheers,
    Eddie B.

Quote Originally Posted by edb View Post
    Hi Mike,
    seeing the later 933's came with oil clutch for their severe operating conditions it is reasonable to expect it would flow on into the D2 range.

As said above, became an option for the D2 4U07020-up & 5U16128-up.

Product Bulletin Feb. 13 1956, Tractor Section, tells of the Oil Clutch Change Over Kit (7H1423) being retrofit-able to the aforementioned S/No's-up.

When the fan gets to turn again I may scan and post the S/Bulletin and see if I have a Special Instruction for the Change Over.

Gee Mike--the Gods must have smiled on you to allow you to own such an advanced piece of delectable/desirable equipment You will enjoy using that one.

Cheers,
    Eddie B.
    Hello Eddie, it is the D2 I brought down from Townsville that came from Mick Lyon, you will remember the one I fitted the #41 hydraulic pump to that refused to develop any decent pressure even after every expert in Oz had a go at fixing the pump, I reckon I've got the pump squared away finally.
    Regards
    Mike