Thread: D6C dies during use

Default D6C dies during use

My D6C starts loosing power then slows to an idle then completely dies. It's almost impossible to restart an only with a lot of ether. It may run for several hours after that or maybe just a few minutes. The tanks is full right now but that doesn't seem to matter. It does this at any level of fuel. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by 69UD6C View Post
    My D6C starts loosing power then slows to an idle then completely dies. It's almost impossible to restart an only with a lot of ether. It may run for several hours after that or maybe just a few minutes. The tanks is full right now but that doesn't seem to matter. It does this at any level of fuel. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?
    You may want to check your fuel filters as you engine may be starving of fuel , also the fuel tank breather could be blocked creating a vacuum as the engine runs it tries to draw fuel but then the vacuum is greater than the fuel pump pressure trying to draw fuel out .
    The ether could be forcing the engine to suck fuel through , in the meantime you may have lifted the cap to check the fuel level inadvertently letting the vacuum dissipate. JMTBW

Cool Fuel Drain...

Hello 69UD6C, welcome to ACMOC. Diggerdozer is correct, start by checking the fuel filter. Your problem might also be a fuel line stoppage. Remove the panel below the fuel tank on the rear of the tractor. There are two valves on the bottom of the fuel tank; one has the fuel supply line connected to it, the other valve is your fuel tank drain valve and is located in a small sump that is lower than the supply valve. The drain valve is supposed to be cracked open several times a year to let out water which has condensed in the fuel tank. The square stem on the fuel valves only needs to be turned 90 degrees to open or close fully. Always use a proper wrench on the valve stems as pliers or adjustable wrenches will quickly damage them. If the drain valve has not been used often enough the water level will rise until the water (and other crud ) can enter the fuel line causing a stoppage. I have also seen a problem where the fuel line has become covered with dirt and rusted to the point that a pin-hole has formed causing a come-again-go-again air leak to occur. I hope you find the source of your fuel problem quickly.
    Happy 'dozing,
    Craig

What is the fuel pressure gauge saying while this is happening?