Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #%**#%#* backhoe! OT!

Tsk #%**#%#* backhoe! OT!

Busted a hose on my backhoe the other day on the bucket circuit. New hose 127 bucks because of goofy British ends! Back at work yesterday after driving 90 plus miles to St Cloud MN to a hydraulic shop that can make a hose for me. So late yesterday afternoon I'm on the last rock in a field digging em out for my sisters husband and I bust another hose. Bad part is is that I'm heading out to the deer stand in a few minutes. So I guess Monday I'll be heading back to St Cloud (local shops have nothing to help me but can order the ends) to get another hose made. I will never buy another piece of equipment that's made by some company that has no support further than 30 miles. I can get support for Ford, Cat, JD, Case and Kubota but not JCB.

Rick

Default Ship It?

Could you call it in and have it shipped? That way it would be back to you without the 90 mile drive. Surely your time is worth something?

Default Service

Hey OldTanker,

Great point!!! Parts and Service are so important to Getting It Done!!! I have so many sales people calling and trying to sell machines, but can't offer the Parts and Service Support needed to go with it. I'm lucky to have a Cat dealer within 20 miles of me, and a parts drop within 2 miles of me. Deere is just behind in parts. If a Cat goes down we are running in a day, as the part needed is over night. A Deere maybe 2 to 3 days. I find it's back ordered a lot with them. Other brands figure a week. They just can't perform.

Quote Originally Posted by drujinin View Post
    Could you call it in and have it shipped? That way it would be back to you without the 90 mile drive. Surely your time is worth something?
    Don't know. Couple of years ago I did call in for a water pump for the darn thing and it took a week. The hose I just got I had made at a shop, Had to go the 5 different hydraulic shops to find one with the correct fittings. Didn't check to see if they would ship. Don't know if they have secure ordering either. I do know there is no parts lookup on JCB's site. I have to contact a dealer and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 7upuller View Post
    Hey OldTanker,

Great point!!! Parts and Service are so important to Getting It Done!!! I have so many sales people calling and trying to sell machines, but can't offer the Parts and Service Support needed to go with it. I'm lucky to have a Cat dealer within 20 miles of me, and a parts drop within 2 miles of me. Deere is just behind in parts. If a Cat goes down we are running in a day, as the part needed is over night. A Deere maybe 2 to 3 days. I find it's back ordered a lot with them. Other brands figure a week. They just can't perform.
    I don't know about Deer construction equipment but the AG side I know is good. I can have most stuff next day if I'm willing to pay express freight.

Rick

i had the same problem and the shop welded standard fittings to the brittish ends just get any hose made now
    Best 60
    Cat 60
    Holt 5 ton armored
    Holt 5 ton
    Holt 2 ton early
    holt 2 ton late
    cat 2 ton
    cat ten high
    cat ten wide
    cat ten 2
    fifteen 3
    twenty L 6
    22 3
    28 W
    30 S & PS 6
    6G 30 5
    35 gas 2
    35 D
    40 gas
    40 D
    Diesel 75
    RD 6
    D6 3&6 cyl

I have fixed some the same as chuckb. Have never been sorry I got it so standard fittings can fix it in the future.

oldtanker, you need to give your hydraulic shop a kicking to get their act together, unless you are in some real back water of the Earth, BSP is a very common union/ thread size with plenty of Valve block and fitting manufactures using this thread as standard within their build, in the U.K. we have to deal with every sort of pipe fitting-coupling that is made, we manage this task easily also having the adapters to chop and change to another type, it might be worth your effort to seek out a few common size fittings that will change from BSP to your more common JIC so you can always get yourself out of trouble allowing you to drop in a JIC tailed pipe, My thoughts of JCB are well known on these Forums as I would rather drink Acid than own 1, the fact is you have "1" so its all about living with it and keeping the stress levels low, for around 40 = $55 should get you a handy bag full of BSP hose tails or adapters? ready to crimp into hose, the common size used is 3/4 -1/2 -1/4" BSP, I hope the Goofy British Ends are the biggest trouble you will suffer with your JCB, but many years of working on them makes a "Crystal Ball" not needed on my predictions, as a parting thought any flange clamp ends used are just the standard SAE 3'000 6'000 Goofy Yank Fittings so you should be sorted on this point.
    I hope you over come your pipe "Thing" tctractors

Default Bass-akwards JCB

Hi, Folks.
    I have NEVER been fan of JCB 'cos they seem to have a 'religion' of doing things differently. NOT 'better, just 'different'. Bass-akwards control layouts, fittings that you can often find standard only in England and, here in DowNunder, many of their models had cooling problems for quite a while 'cos they couldn't get it into their heads that almost NONE of Australian is under ice and snow for half the year.

Just my 0.02.
    You have a wonderful day. Best wishes.

Deas Plant.

Quote Originally Posted by tctractors View Post
    oldtanker, you need to give your hydraulic shop a kicking to get their act together, unless you are in some real back water of the Earth, BSP is a very common union/ thread size with plenty of Valve block and fitting manufactures using this thread as standard within their build, in the U.K. we have to deal with every sort of pipe fitting-coupling that is made, we manage this task easily also having the adapters to chop and change to another type, it might be worth your effort to seek out a few common size fittings that will change from BSP to your more common JIC so you can always get yourself out of trouble allowing you to drop in a JIC tailed pipe, My thoughts of JCB are well known on these Forums as I would rather drink Acid than own 1, the fact is you have "1" so its all about living with it and keeping the stress levels low, for around 40 = $55 should get you a handy bag full of BSP hose tails or adapters? ready to crimp into hose, the common size used is 3/4 -1/2 -1/4" BSP, I hope the Goofy British Ends are the biggest trouble you will suffer with your JCB, but many years of working on them makes a "Crystal Ball" not needed on my predictions, as a parting thought any flange clamp ends used are just the standard SAE 3'000 6'000 Goofy Yank Fittings so you should be sorted on this point.
    I hope you over come your pipe "Thing" tctractors
    Well I do live out in the boonies. But even in city areas here you just don't see much of British products compared to Cat, Deere, Komatsu and Case. Here in my county I know of one other JCB piece of equipment and very darn few Komatsu's (they like JCB are 90 miles away). I can get parts and service for Cat, Deere, Case, New Holland, Ford, Bobcat and Kubota all without 35 miles. There just isn't anything closer than 90 miles where BSPP fitting are going to be common. So the local hydraulic shops just don't carry what they little chance of selling.

That's what I'm thinking. That as long as I own it I better get some of those fittings just to have on hand.

Rick

Default Jcb

I have worked on lots of JCBs when I was a Tech for United rentals, The operators loved them, we hated them, A english mate had the right saying, JCB - Junk Coming from Britain, Ken